Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

dove season

Options
tn slagamater
tn slagamater Posts: 623
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Dove season opens shortly. Anyone tried "egging" the little fellas as I expect to have quite a few on hand in a few days....Everything seems to be SOOO much better on the egg, just wondering about....suggestions?

Comments

• Julie
    Julie Posts: 133
    Options
    tn slagamater,
    I have never Egged a dove, but I would suppose you could use the chicken (VCR) rack.[p]

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    tn slagamater,[p]Look up the cornish hen recipe by JJ. I would think it would be a good place to start.[p]
  • Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    tn slagamater,[p]Check out this little birdie recipe.
    [ul][li]Earl's Quails[/ul]
  • Bobby Que
    Options
    I would "BARD" the breasts (which is the only really useble meat on these birds) and smoke them until done to your liking.[p]If you are not sure what barding is, it is putting bacon or some such on the breasts during the cook. I made a post about this quite some time ago.[p]Doves are nice, but need some help to be palatable. Here in Tampa, we cook them in a rich pasta sauce rather then cook them in a smoker.

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    quail5.jpg
    <p />tn slagamater:[p]I envy Earl with his patience to de-bone quail. I just season them whole and grill them direct at 325º to 350º. Turn them a time or two and be careful not to let them overcook. Any rub or seasoning mix that works with poultry will do.