Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Shoulder done

run4jc
run4jc Posts: 107
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Eaten lots of Q in my time, but the flavor, texture, moistness and bark of this pork shoulder is the best I've ever had. Nothing magic - just a good fire, hickory and apple wood, a didiq2 set for 225 pit and 195 meat, and a basic rub with turbinado sugar to give it some bark.

DigiQ2 says it is done....

IMG_1720.jpg

Here it is - when I lifted it off the grill it fell apart!!

IMG_1717.jpg
IMG_1718.jpg

Close up

IMG_1723.jpg

Finished product

IMG_1725.jpg

Look at the bark....

IMG_1727.jpg

Dinner tonight! Leftovers all week!

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Looks good. I just pulled my last container of pulled pork from the freezer recently. I am due for a long smokin session.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    OH YEA, nice One!! 8 - )~~~
  • Fireball II
    Fireball II Posts: 213
    Looks like I have to get a DigiQ2. How do you set your top?
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Good looking cook, and the bark looks awesome. Thats good eats in my book.
  • run4jc
    run4jc Posts: 107
    Started out with the pit probe attached to the dome temperature gauge, but moved it to the grill - clipped it a couple of inches away from the meat. BBQ Guru Fred suggests clipping it to the exposed section of the meat probe, but he also suggests clipping to the grid. Worked pretty well. Set the damper open about 1/4, daisy wheel about 1/8, set the display to scan back and forth between pit and food, 225 pit, 195 food, and off we went. Someone on the forum suggested starting the fire on the opposite edge from the damper - did so and spread the wood chunks around within the lump - smoked pretty much the whole time. Plate setter legs up, and I did not use a drip pan. It's so easy to clean the plate setter. Once I set it the darn thing held 225 like an oven.

DigiQ costs as much as a cheap grill, but it's worth it to me - and evidently to lots of other forum members!