Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Last call for advice on purchase

Options
crawdad
crawdad Posts: 115
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to pull the trigger on an EGG today or next Saturday. I've read every post on Large vs. XL and so on. My conclusion is that I'm still undecided. The ones that own the XL love it. Others get a Large and a small. I can make do with a large but but bigger is usually better...not my gut! The drip pan issue on the XL is one of my concerns.

So a final question to you XL folks...happy with your decision? Do you work around the lack of space for a drip pan? Thanks again for any advice.

Comments

• Susan Egglaine
    Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
    Options
    GO TODAY!!!!!!!!
    Walk out the door now! Time is a wasting!
    I have a large and a small and very happy but I have never cooked on an XL.(I had never cooked on a large or small either) Once you get one you will want another so it really does not matter what you start with :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • mattm
    mattm Posts: 56
    Options
    I just got my egg accessories for my XL and now I can drop the grid, raise the grid, add a drip pan, add a cooking stone, add both, add another cooking level, the options are seemingly endless. So, while the XL can be set up for a drip pqan with the platesetter under the fire ring, I like the new accessories I got...makes changing my set up a breeze.

Bottom line is, if you go with either one, check out eggaccessories.com. They sell setups that will make either the XL or the large much more versatile.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    I have an XL egg and I do like it.I would never have bought it if I didn't get such a great deal on it.Personally,I would rather have a large(I think).The XL is my third egg,so I really notice the extra lump used.If it were my first egg I wouldn't have anything to compare it to.I like the large/small combo for flexibility.It really depends on what you plan to cook.If I am cooking peach cobbler in my dutch oven,I don't want it to stink like the salmon I just cooked.I think you will be happy either way ;) I don't even own a large(yet) :silly: ,but If I were starting over,I would get the large ;)
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    I have all of the eggs made and like them all.With the XL you can cook the whole meal on one egg and for ribs the extra space helps.Hope this helps.
    Larry
    97a6.jpg
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    If you use the platesetter where it is intended you will have more than enough room for a drip pan. This is my set up and I have plenty of room.

3-8-08003.jpg

The hanger and flip ring by TJV give you quite a few options.
  • SWOkla-Jerry
    SWOkla-Jerry Posts: 640
    Options
    My first egg was an XL, I bought last year. Loved it so much I just purchased a LG to go with it. Now I am a 2 egg family and can cook for a crowd.

The boys in there new home
    EGGS.jpg

Plenty of room here
    IMG_0779-1.jpg

Go get your new egg and get started cooking.
  • mijoey
    mijoey Posts: 58
    Options
    I started with the XL and I love it for large cooks. I bought the flip ring and a pan holder from eggcessories, along with an extra grid for more versatility. Having said that, because it is just me and my wife, I am in the market for a small to do burgers stesks and small chikens. If you go with the large chances are you will still end up getting a small eventually, so why not go with the XL and you will always have space for the large cooks.
    Mike
    Melbourne,Fl.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I have a Large and LOVE it.
    I've cooked for twelve with it and found to have plenty of room....So far.
    Thinking about what and how much you'll be cooking may be the best reasoning for your choice of size.
    None the less...Get one and get cooking. You WILL love it.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I've fooled around with the xl and large some, have both. My recommendation is simple.

If most of your cooking is low and slow - briskets, butts or ribs, get the xl. The 24 inch grid space fits the longer cuts of meat better than the large.

If your goal is mostly grilling, then the large might be a tad better. The smaller firebox, lends itself to hotter and concentrated temps better.

Man, I really need to cooks somethin'........

T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • YB
    Options
    Good morning Tom...I think you are like me and like them both.
    Larry
  • The Governor
    Options
    I have the XL and love it! I had an old large and went with a new XL for the size. The extra lump use does not bother me, and I like knowing I have the room to cook when a large crowd gathers. I would have gotten two smaller eggs, however did not want to have to buy all the extras for two grills for when having to use at the same time. Which ever one you choose, I dont think you can go wrong, just depends on how much you cook (quantity wise). As for a drip pan, there are too many aftermarket products out for these eggs, you can always find something.
    Patrick
  • sparky665491
    Options
    I have only owned a large for 5 weeks and am already thinking about buying the extra large.
  • TheGrillisGone
    Options
    What do you have the pie sitting in? Is this holding your pie pan for a more indirect cook?

Thanks!

Jim
    Snellville, GA
  • TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Options
    Have had the XL just a few weeks, and no regrets. But am already looking to add a second Egg. :)
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Morning Larry, I've caught a couple pics on your yard....looking good. Finally finished the houses, well almost, need to rebuild a deck.

Looks like I'm dusting off the golf clubs and playing again. Man, haven't even hit a ball and already feel the tug on my money from the sharks at the course......

Do golf balls have expiration dates?

T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    No....

but thoose 20's you're packin' around in that wallet...well,

they're just about gone!!

:P

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Boxerpapa
    Boxerpapa Posts: 989
    Options
    I bought the large, then bought a small. I like the combo. My wife doesn't like ribs, so on the nights when I do cook ribs on the large, I can use the small for her meal...i.e salmon. Also, when we have something like burgers, the small is perfect for them. Don't use as much lump. But that's my opinion
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    More accessories are available for the Large. A very high percentage of all eggs sold are large. BGE started making the XL becuase of losing business to larger steel units offering more grid space. Bottom line, with egging, it is about quality more than quantity. If it was all about the size, you could take your $700-$1000 and buy a large steel offset with enough capacity to cook a horse.
    I also have the large/small combo and love it.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Larry,
    Where did you get that stone with the handles? It looks great and I get it really keeps things warm.
    Newbie from Ohio
  • TampaQ
    TampaQ Posts: 40
    Options
    One advantage to a LG and SM over a XL is the ability to cook at different temperatures.

I have a LG and have found it to have plenty of space.
  • YB
    Options
    Hey Jim it's a 9" deep pizza dish from BGE.The 9" pie pan works perfect in it.
    Larry
  • YB
    Options
    It's soap stone and really holds heat.I have the site book marked at work and will send it to you Monday.
    Larry
  • Pitmaster
    Pitmaster Posts: 74
    Options
    The steel offsets aren't even close to being efficient as an Egg! I know, had one for 5 years and retired it a couple weeks ago, just before I got my XL. Have cooked on it a few times and love it much better.
  • AlwaysGolf
    AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
    Options
    I would go with the Large. I have 2 larges and cook for a crowd several times. Plus all my add'ons fit both eggs!
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    I first bought a large and soon after bought a mini. 90 % of the time for the wife and I the mini fits the bill. I just did a beer can chicken for 12 on the large and there was plenty of room. I did the chicken and as it was cooling so I could cut it up I did Butter Milk Biscuits and Baked Beans on the 2 level grill crate in the large. The biscuits came off in 15 min and the beans in another 30 minutes. They were fine.
    Most of the time the mini does a quick start and cook of protein and a starch. My small iron skillet fits fine to stir fry squash and onion's with peppers. Plenty time for that as the meat rest before slicing.
    E
    Don't get caught up with the biggest on the block syndrome.
    Us guys can have that issue for sure.
    E
  • Pitmaster
    Pitmaster Posts: 74
    Options
    Must have been one large chicken (for 12 people). B)