Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dinner Party to Feature Smoked Roast Beef and Veggies! Help!

Options
Woody
Woody Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This Saturday, I have promised some friends their first meal on the Egg (large model). I have a choice of some nice boneless rump or sirloin roast beef available. I would also like to do roasted bell peppers and mushrooms (or something similar that goes well with new potatoes and corn-on-the-cob - the potatoes and corn would not necessarily be done on the Egg). Can you guys help me to show our Egg's best efforts?

Comments

• Janet
    Janet Posts: 102
    Options
    Woody,
    IMO, sometimes the simpler the better. I like to do beef roasts of various sorts simply by coating with seasonings (which, for me always includes gargantuan amounts of garlic!) and cooking (with soaked wood chips for smoke)indirect at about 350 degrees until internal temps reach 135. Then take the meat off and wrap in foil.[p]I often combine this with a medley of mushrooms, onions, garlic, and multi-colored sweet peppers. I cut everything into bite-sized pieces (except garlic, which is chopped fine) mix with some olive oil and let sit for an hour or so. Then when I take the meat off, I put my grill-top wok (with holes) on the egg, heat it up, and throw the veggies on when it's hot. Cook them over a hot fire, with dome closed, but with periodic stirring while the meat is setting up. [p]I just fixed egged lamb kebobs for dinner tonight, but am able to get enthused over a good beef roast![p]Janet[p]

• Woody
    Options
    Janet,
    Thanks for the advice! I bet the aluminum foil helps the more lean cuts of roast to retain their juciness. I will get to the hardware store and purchase one of the perforated stir fry grills for the vegetables. Thanks again.

• Woody, slice yellow and zuchinni squash 1/4" thick lengthwise, sweet onions, bell peppers, mushrooms(leave em whole). brush all the above with olive oil, salt and pepper. put on grill in a veggie grid, cook on high, stirring often. take em up when they are showing grill marks, serve over rice is the best way. oops , forgot, along with the olive oil, salt and pepper, also brush liberally with worchestershire sauce, set aside for hour to absorb the flavors before putting on grill. I have done these for years and people love em. good luck

• Woody
    Options
    slicktop,[p]My mouth waters at the thought! Janet also suggested the perforated veggie grill so I absolutely must have one. Thanks again.