Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak Fries (for Herm)

Options
ViennaJack
ViennaJack Posts: 357
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks everyone for the remarks on my post the other day. I had a request from Herm for a howto on the potatoes. Here they are in a fresh post for anyone who is interested:

The potatoes are done as follows:

Cut potatoes into wedges, quarters, etc., not too big, steak fry size. Use baking potatoes, redskins, whatever you like.

Toss in a mixing bowl with enough extra virgin olive oil to coat the pieces.

Add some of your favorite BBQ rub. I get great results with Dizzy Pig Raging River and Dr. BBQ's Eastern Rub.

Go by what feels right for the rub amount. You can always put more on, but you can't take it off. I get good results when they look like this after stirring the rub on, before cooking:

IMG_1428.jpg

Cook in the Egg until done. I use cast iron cookware at about 325-350 direct for about 40-50 minutes. I've also done them at 450 indirect for about 40-50 minutes. It doesn't seem to make much difference in the final result. I prefer direct because it's easier to go straight to cooking steaks right after the potatoes are finished.

IMG_1433.jpg

They need to be stirred at least every 10 minutes while cooking. Try not to let them stick. Use a metal spoon to scrape the sticky ones off the pan. When they are done the slices will fully cooked through, and many of the potato pieces will be browned on the outside, like in this photo:

IMG_1438.jpg

I was using a cast iron skillet but switched to the dutch oven because it's easier to stir without popping the potatoes out.

For extra fun, add some sliced onions or fresh crushed garlic after the potatoes have been sizzling for a while, maybe 15-20 minutes after you start to cook them.

Make more than you think you will need. At my house we get a lot of drive-by samplings after they come off the Egg!

Enjoy,

Comments