Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where does it go after the cooler?

Options
Griller
Griller Posts: 88
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello everyone! I'm a first time poster and recent egg owner.

I purchased my Egg on the 4th of July and jumped in with both feet the next morning with an 11lbs brisket. I started at 4:30AM, ran the Egg at no more than 200F, mopped it hourly, and took it off at 4:45pm when the internal temp was 192F. I sprayed the brisket with an apple juice & brown sugar mix and let it stand for about 30 minutes prior to eating it. We enjoyed it and are still snacking on the left overs :)

I've been reading several posts where folks take their meat (brisket, butt, ribs, etc.) off the Egg when it's done, wrap it in foil, and then place it in a cooler for several hours. Is the purpose of this to allow the meat to continue to sit in it's juices/steam? Also, do you reheat the meat after the several hours prior to serving it?

-Griller

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    You got it for the reason.

When you pull it from the cooler it will still be too hot to handle and will not require any warming.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    The reason I use the cooler is for transportation to another location and/or because it got done ahead of time. While wrapped finished meat will tend to continue to cook that is not the reason to wrap in itself.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Or when you are cooking multiple items with different temps etc and you want them done hot at the same time. The cooler trick holds the meats temp and keeps it safe. You can then move on to the next dish, or as stated above, if its done early it holds the meat without drying it out like an oven would.
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    Like Fidel said, It will still be too hot to handle.
    I place 2 folded towels in the bottom of the cooler, then the foiled meat wrapped in a 3rd towel, followed by a towel or two on top. It will keep the meat hot for hours. (6 hrs is my record so far)