Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Beef Ribs

Options
ChampAmp
ChampAmp Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to do some large beef rib slabs...first time doing this type of rib on the egg...typically these are never as good as pork....(hoping the egg will change that, if they're good slabs) but a friend is sharing them with me....anyway, I did some research here, and I think I'll use my rib rack, plate setter, drip pan, and go low n slow for 5 - 7 hours at around 225....I'm too lazy for 311....

BUT...I need seasoning | sauce | rub suggestions....remember the lazy factor in your suggestions. Gracias :)

Comments

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    I have done beef ribs several times and just kept them refirgerated.... coated them with Bad Byron's Butt Rub and put them on the egg with Plate setter legs up with grate and drip pan below grate. No rib rack cooked with membrane removed bone side down at 250 with a handful of mesquite for smoke in tribute to TEXAS. Takes about 5 hours to cook :) They taste so good I just heat some BBQ Sauce like Stubb's Original or spicy on the side I warm it in a saucepan. Not much sauce is needed They are soo good.
    ~Pharmeggist
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Bump the temp up to 250.

Dizzy Pig Cowlick would be good on Beef Ribs. You want a hearty sauce with beef ribs. Sweet Baby Rays comes to mind.
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    Click on link:
    http://www.thesmokering.com/BeefRibs/default.jsp

Warning this isn't cooked on an egg... but it gives great step by step directions :evil:
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    This is a link to Beef Back ribs that I did recently. Nothing too fancy - just a nice rub, and cooked for 4-5 hours at 250 degrees. I used a mop, but you could probably get away without it, since you're feeling lazy.

http://www.fearlesskitchen.com/2008/05/recipe-beef-bac.html
    Good luck,

-John
  • dls2122
    dls2122 Posts: 66
    Options
    McCormick spices now have rubs. I'm not a huge fan of most of them - you know same ole same ole problem - however they have 1 really good rub - it's a sweet chipotle rub. Comes in a jar - no brainer - fits the lazy factor perfectly - then add to that - it's REALLY good. I'm new to EGG cooking - but I've found saoking ribs for a few hours in apple cider, then for a couple hours with the rub before starting works for me. Usually overnight for the cider then 1st thing in the morning put the rub on until you're reasy to start cooking them.

I now have a question - you're the 2nd person I've read today that mentioned 3-1-1. What is that?

Thanks,
    Don
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
    3-1-1 is a popular rib cooking method that involves 3 hrs on the grid (usually indirect at 250° dome), followed by 1 hr on the same grid but wrapped in foil with added liquid (apple juice is popular), followed by 1 hr unwrapped to finish. This last hour is sometimes done direct, sometimes indirect. Saucing (if used) happens in this last hour. Shouldn't take you long to come across specific variations on this general explanation.
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Options
    Here's how I did mine last time: Beef Ribs

I liked a simple rub of
    4 tsp chili powder
    1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
    2 tsp table salt
    1 1/2 tsp ground black pepper

273506901_jSevw-L.jpg
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • ChampAmp
    ChampAmp Posts: 7
    Options
    Thank you all so much....these are great ideas, I use Sweet Baby Rays (probably need an new eggforum acronym for it...SBR?) on my pork butt, and I think it would work well....some of the rub's I don't have immediate access to...I'll try some Dizzy Pig, I'll order some....all the rubs sound good...again, great ideas, I really appreciate it.

I hope everyone has a great weekend.
  • Egg-N-Tino
    Egg-N-Tino Posts: 157
    Options
    Champ,

Try this link. WAY more than you would ever want to now about ribs:

www.amazingribs.com