Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bone in leg of lamb

Options
James MB
James MB Posts: 359
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I checked the recipes but they all seem to be for butterflied leg.

I want to slow roast the leg bone in - I'm guessing 350 indirect - sound OK?

Well I'll give it a go anyway!

Comments

• crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Here is a site I've seen it on. Not sure I'd use the vegemite method, but it has some temps etc. in there.

http://www.bbqblue.com.au/smoke_woods/site_files/cordon_blue_roasting_lamb.html
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    they cook fast at 350/400 (i go 400). say 90 minutes or so. i go to about 140 in the thickest part of the leg. the nature of the leg, with thick and thin parts, means you'll have well done and medium-rare to medium for the squeamish types.

i go at 400 to get a nice crust (rosemary, salt, pepper, garlic slices tipped into the meat, or garlic powder), and the short cook means i still have plenty of rare meat. put it on cold...

true "slow roasting" would be around 250, and i don't know how long you'd go. i think a crust is attainable at those temps, but am not sure. they do it with prime rib... i would hesitate to try searing direct combined with roasting (either before or after), because lamb has a nice amount of fat, and it tends to get bitter when seared. but you could go very slow indirect (monitor meat temps!), and then crank the dome to 500 for fifteen minutes at the end when you hit maybe 120 internal, to finish it.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Interesting, I start just about everyday with a Vegemite sandwich. Was thinking of another use for it, might have to try this. -RP
    IMG_0150Small.jpg
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    i think you will get a lot of different answers on this. i sear the leg in a hole directly in the red lump then rest it til the temps are down to 325 dome and then roast. i pull the leg off at 122 to 125 internal. i cook them at a lower temp because i want that lamb to be red across the middle (and cooked closer to the bone) and charred on the exterior. lamb fat is not good, cut it all off before cooking, especially if you want this more done. lamb also takes a marinade nicely. i make up a tabouleh salad and make extra dressing to marinade the lamb in sometimes.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You're probably done with it by now, but here's what I did and it was fantastic.

cooked indirect at 400 for about 20min/lb.
    used grapevine and lilac smoke (thank you Stike).
    slit the meat and shoved in cloves of garlic.
    rubbed with EVOO and added rosemary.
    IMG_0715.jpg

Looking at the picture I'm thinking I added a little DP raisin the steaks, too. Sometimes I use that on Lamb.
    I also had potatoes in the drip pan. they needed to cook a little longer.
    the lamb was fantastic! Unless there's a specific recipe I want to try, I will get bone-in lamb from now on .