Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

On Eggless Nights . . .

TRex
TRex Posts: 2,714
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Use that old box-shaped thing in your kitchen - it's good at baking bread.

7-10-08_bread_1_Web.jpg

I've posted this recipe before but I wanted to again because it's so easy and SO good.

Slightly Sweet Whole Wheat Bread

• 2 cups hot water (I would say the warm side of lukewarm, not hot)
• 1/2 cup light olive oil
• 1/2 cup honey
• 3-1/2 tsp. instant yeast (I used Fleishman’s Rapid Rise)
• 5 cups freshly milled hard red wheat flour (I use King Arthur whole wheat flour)
• 2 tsp. salt
• 1-2 TBS lecithin (you may have to find this at a Whole Foods or some other frou-frou organic food store – the mom that gave me this recipe got some for me)

Combine water, oil and honey. Add 3 cups of flour (1 cup at a time and mix until all wet), yeast, salt, and lecithin. Mix (use a big mixing bowl and a wooden spoon, or better yet, a powerful stand mixer with the dough hook attachment). Add the remaining flour (you can do this in the mixing bowl or as you knead – I had to do it as I kneaded because the dough became too hard to mix by hand – add a little bit at a time as you mix or knead) and knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 min) (you can do this on your counter just make sure you continue to lightly dust the counter with more flour so the dough doesn’t start sticking to the counter).

Let rise until double in size (about 1 hr 15 minutes – put the dough ball on a piece of parchment paper, lightly dusted with flour, and the parchment paper on a baking pan, put plastic wrap over the dough ball, and place into your oven; turn your oven on “warm” for 20 seconds, then turn the oven off but leave the oven light on – this will create a warmer environment to accelerate the rising). Cut the dough ball in half and shape into two loaves. Place loaves into greased loaf pans (I used ceramic loaf pans sprayed with Pam). Let rise again (about 20 – 25 minutes). Bake at 350 degrees (preheat your oven!) for about 30 min (it takes about 40 minutes to get to 195 internal if using the ceramic loaf pans – I would say you’re safe at 35 minutes). If you make 4 little loafs, bake only 20 minutes.

Comments