Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

post script

Chris
Chris Posts: 148
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did first Pork Butt Sat-nite Sunday. Went pretty well but a couple of questions.[p]Used Elder Ward directions and filled with lump to about middle of fire ring; large lump on bottom smaller near the top. The temp held very well at about 230 overnight and next day until about 15 hours. It then started dropping off. I had to finally take the daisy-wheel off and open bottom inlet full to keep temp 220-240. I noticed that there was very little ash in the bottom of the BGE. Sure enough after taking out the butt I saw that there was ash inside the BGE almost to the same level as I started with, which was above the air holes.[p]Any clues as to what caused this? I thought the idea for the larger lump on the bottom was to allow ash to drop down and maintain airflow??[p]Also it took well over 2hrs. per pound to get to internal temp of 185. Is that normal at 230 degrees cooking temp?

Comments

• Chris,
    I may only be new.... but you pulled your butt off the egg at 185? I thought 200 was customary.... how did it taste?
    -Joel

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    grate9.jpg
    <p />Chris,[p]It is good that you did what you needed to keep the temps going, often you must do different things. As you can see the sorting of lump is not needed as it does no good. Some perceive value, but there are way too many reports like yours where someone tried it and it doesn't help. I just dump it in and let it sort itself. I avoid the bottom bag dust though.[p]Do you have a ceramic or steel gate? The steel would be better as it has many more holes for ash to drop thru. Many of us have a long rod to slip in past the grid and into the firebox to "stir" the lump and make some ash fall thru. Sometimes you need to - other times you won't but it's a nice tool to make. Any old car antenna, curtain rod, metal yard stick, etc works.[p]Tim
  • sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Chris,[p]Ash can collect if there isn't an easy way for it to fall down. There's two causes of that. The first cause is packing the lump in there too tight. The second cause is that the ceramic grate, with the air holes, doesn't always allow the ash to drop down, since the holes are fairly widely spaced, particularly if the few holes are being blocked by the large pieces above it.[p]Assuming you didn't pack in the lump too tight, there are a few ways to address the ceramic grate. The easiest thing to do is replace it with either a trivet or the new BGE metal grate. Either alternative will allow the spent ash to fall down much easier, and will allow you to get to high temps faster, since the air flows so much better. Another thing you can do, is use your ash tool to gently tap the bottom of the ceramic grate, through the lower vent hole, when you notice the air flow seems to be clogged (ie, vent settings are no longer having much affect). You want to do that carefully, as the grate will move easily when there isn't much lump left on it, so you might accidentally move it from its correct position. Lastly, you could also remove your butt for a moment, and give the coals a quick stir with your ash tool.[p]Last, how did your butt taste? Cooked to 185 internal sounds a tad low, but if you could easily pull it with a fork, then you probably turned out just fine.[p]--sdb
  • Chris
    Joel Ferman,
    Actually it tasted very, very good and was nice and moist; came apart fairly easily. Probably would have pulled apart a little better at the 200 degrees. My problem was that the temp in the BGE was dropping, and I could not raise, so I knew that I would not get to 200 degrees until sometime around Labor Day.

• Chris
    sdbelt,
    Taste was wonderful but probably would have pulled a little better at the 200 degrees.[p]Thanks for the advice. Even with the minor problem with the ash and temp the BGE is the only way to go.

• Tim M,[p]Two thoughts:
    1) When I've had temp control problems on long cooks, it has been when I did what you said, "just dump the lump in." When I've sorted it, temp control was not an issue. Ive done 11 butts so far, 8 - 3 in favor of sorting the lump. To be sure, not a scientifically controlled process - different types of lump, etc. Humidity is not an issue here in Las Vegas.
    2) My second large came with the cast iron grate. The difference from the ceramic grate was noticed immediately. Faster start, faster response to the lower vent setting, etc. The only concern I have is that it seems much harder to maintain a lower (200 - 240) temp than it does with the ceramic grate. The jury is still out as I have yet to do a long cook with the cast iron grate. This upcoming three day weekend will see two butts and one brisket getting Egg'd. We shall see.[p]Anyway, just my $.05 worth. I enjoy your web site![p]LVM

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    LasVegasMac,
    You bring up a great point. I too have the ceramic grate. I sort my lump, kind of. I'm not hand placing all pieces, but I do put the larger in the bottom, placing some of my bigger pieces directly over my side holes. From there I do my best to add medium and work up to small.
    The ceramic grate lets less air in, helping to maintain a lower temp. I have meant to go get the steel grate, but after reading this, I think I will keep the ceramic and use it when I'm doing slow and low cooks.
    Makes sense on paper. Either way, I have heard 99.9% great reviews on the numerous ways to get it to 200*.
    I thought I'd add my .02 to your nickel.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Wardster,[p]Your vent settings will control air flow. The ceramic grate has about 1/2 as many holes and so can clog up twice as fast. Do yourself a favor and get the "steel" grate from Bge. or not. IDC[p]Tim
  • Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Chris,[p]Did you measure your temps from the dome or from the grate? It can make a big difference!

If you measured your temps from the dome and you were set up to do indirect, your grate temps may have only been 210º, which is OK, but when trying to get to a meat temp of 200º will take much longer. [p]I have always advocated measuring your temps at the grate level....for the simple reason, there are so many different set-ups for indirect and the EGG will cook differently in various regions around the country. The difference between the dome and the grate can, and most likely will be, different on almost every cook. There are many factors that affect that difference. This is certainly true in my WSM and though ceramic may make a difference, I doubt it is that much.[p]Buy yourself a Polder....$20....and start measuring your grate level temps.[p]Now, I will also admit that each piece of meat will cook different and time is always a rough guideline, but in my 15 years of smoking, my butts have pretty much been done after 2hrs./lb. at a grate temp of 225º.[p]One last thing.......as long as it tasted OK, don't sweat it![p]Stogie

• Chris, on the metal grate it helps the ash drop if your grate is inserted right side up. The holes in the grate are cone shaped and the small part of the cone should be on top with the larger part of the hole on the bottom. The ceramic grate may be designed the same way but I do not have one to verify that it is designed like the metal version, you might check it.

• tn slagamater,
    Brillant observation..nice to know there are a few "thinkers" left out there.
    Really appreciate you sharing this boservation..nde

• Stogie,
    I wouldn't dream of testing the grate temp with the damn wimpy Polder....such a piece of junk...nde

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Strmn2Smoke,[p]Sorry you feel that way. My 5 have performed very well for the last 6 years...thru blizzards and rain storms.[p]Of course they are NOT designed for high temps...max of 395º, but I only use them for low and slow smoking. They double as a meat thermometer as well. 2 for 1...not bad in my book![p]Stogie
  • Chris,
    Char-Woody recommends starting the fire from underneath. I now do this with a starter cube and it works great. As the fire burns, the ashes drop thru and unburned charcoal fills the space.[p]Kermit

• Chris
    Kermit,
    Do you put the starter cube inside the firebox under the ash grate? If so does the flame from the cube reach high enough to start the lump or do you need to elevate the cube somehow??

• Chris,
    Just place the cube under the ash grate and the flames will reach the lump to get it started.[p]K