Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Burp the egg?

WanabeWanabe Posts: 355
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was reading a thread on gasket problems and a poster made a comment about burping the egg rather than opening it up half or full. What does this mean?
·

Comments

• PharmeggistPharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Burp the egg means to open the egg really, really, slow maybe a 1/2 inch or less for a few seconds and then opening it up all the way. This is important if you have the egg over 500 degrees because if you open it to fast the oxygen of opening it to fast will cause a flash back :blink:
    ~Pharmeggist
    ·
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    Any time you get a high temp going and choke it off, you have to be aware that when you open the lid, you can get a flashback. Go to the Whiz's site and check out the video. -RP
    ·
    Click on TNW's link:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/flash.htm
    ·
  • WanabeWanabe Posts: 355
    Thanks, you people are great!
    ·
    I learned something re-reading the link from the TNW website tonight too! `The part about opening the bottom and top vent all the way :) instead of doing the conventional burp.
    ~Pharmeggist
    P.S. I just need a peaceful evening at home by myself to look at TNW site and see what else I missed :whistle:
    ·
  • The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    As you have been informed, burping is opening the lid a little bit. It is called burping because the intended result is a series of tiny flashbacks rather than one monstrous flashback. However, I don't burp. (No comments.) I'm convinced that burping will assist your gasket to an early demise. I personally open the top and bottom vents for 10 seconds or so, allow the builtup gases to burn, and then slowly open the lid. Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
    ·
  • Celtic WolfCeltic Wolf Posts: 9,768
    Just a different form of "burping" :laugh:

Didn't I hear you belch the Marine Anthem?? :ohmy:
    ·
  • Just don't forget to burp. No matter how you do it. I have less arm hair for forgetting this step on my first cook. Wont's forget again :blush:
    ·
  • You only forget to "burp" once!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ·