Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tonight's Dinner - Prime Rib

QBabe
QBabe Posts: 2,275
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A short while back, there was a thread about prime rib. Stogie posted 3 recipes and instructions that inspired me, so tonight it's going to be the "King of the Roasts" recipe. Larry brought home a beautiful giant 8 pound roast that has been slathered with Worchestershire, horseradish and Yum-Yum Seasoning and has been in the fridge overnight all wrapped up![p]So, never having cooked a prime rib before, anybody got suggestions or tips about wood? I know it's somewhat of a personal preference, but sometimes there are good suggestions about specific types for specific purposes in order not to overpower the choice of meat.[p]Thanks for any tips regarding wood or otherwise about cooking prime rib in general...it's one thing to mess up a chicken...it's quite another when you just spent almost all of your grocery budget on one piece of beef...I want it to come out perfectly! I want it to melt in my mouth![p]QBabe
:-)[p]

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    QBabe,[p]I like to use either Jack Danial's wood chips or Red wine wood chips (can;t think of the brand). Both are store bought and add just a subtle (sp?) flavor.[p]Smokey
  • Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    QBabe,[p]If you want to go the slow route, use an indirect setup and get the internal dome temp stable between 250°F to 260°F. Pull the roast off at your favorite beef temp. In our house we have two camps, rare and dead. So one large roast will turn into two, and we'll put the "targeted for death roast" on about 1 to 1½ hours before the "good" one. We'll pull at internal temps of 130°F and 160°F respectively.[p]Puj
  • QBabe
    Puj,[p]Rare and Dead...I like that! We're a little closer in preference, more like rare and med-rare, but my parents are of the "dead" bunch, and I didn't know beef could taste any other way till I got married! [p]Thanks,
    QBabe
    :-)

• QBabe
    Smokey,[p]Thanks, I haven't been able to find the Jack Daniels ones here in Florida, but haven't really spent too much time searching, except locally. I have some apple that I was considering using. We've used it twice now, on the Apple City Baby Backs, and on some Spatchcock Chicken. Not bad in either case.[p]QBabe
    :-)

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    QBabe,
    I never tried a prime rib (but I will!) but I've just begun using oak in other beef cooks and like the flavor immensely.

Judy in San Diego