Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spider what size grid will fit what is available

Marvelous
Marvelous Posts: 70
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to buy a spider I have turbo grate what size grid would be available for sitting on the spider, I will also need CI pan or grid for the spider anyone know of what and where to purchase' will medium BGE grid fit or a small would appricate this info

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Medium grids fit on the spider in the large BGE.

I am unsure if they will work with the turbo grate. I don't have one of those, so I can't tell if it rises too high in the firebox for the grid to work on the spider.

The grid on the spider sits about 1.5" below the top of the fire ring, for reference. If the turbo grate rises higher than that I would doubt they are compatible.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    top of the turbulator is 2½ inches below top of fire ring [did not measure from the depressions but from the highest part]
    bbq guru sells a spider like dodad that drops down 3 inches BUT the turbulator has some play to it and the top part can lean off to the side to give a bit more wiggle room.
    i have both they work. will get all the 'woo stuff' for christmas :)
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    I use the cast iron grate from my SBGE:

IMG_1406.jpg

14" pizza stone works well for an indirect baffle as well. Be sure to get the BGE-branded stone, because I cracked this cheapie one into three pieces:
    IMG_0971.jpg
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Can someone tell me what the turbo grate is? Never heard of this before.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    If you're putting an indirect piece on the spider sitting on the standard fire ring, you'll be fine--I've tested the Turbo Grate with the 2" fire ring on my LBGE with the plate setter inverted on top of the ring and the TG did not touch it at all. I'll test out that configuration next time and will report back on the forum.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Go here... http://thebbqguru.com/ The Guru folks site.

Use the index on the left side. Produces and or YouTube videos.

GG
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Hey Marvin, you really want to get a spider, LOL. As I mentioned this morning on the phone, give your cast iron grid a shot. If it gives the results you're looking for, then all you need is the woo2. I'd love to sell ya something, but truly only what you need.

Give me a call after you cook the test steak.....T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Marvelous
    Marvelous Posts: 70
    Thanks

You were right steaks came out perfect I was at 650 2min each side shut down and then i min each side agaion thanks I will call
    marvelous
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Be careful on the size of the grate that will fit the Spider. If you bought your LBGE in 2008 you will probably need the '08 Spider and the MBGE grate will not fit, but the SBGE grate will work fine. That's the setup I'm using.