Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Cooks

Nardi513
Nardi513 Posts: 66
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Finally picked up my new large this weekend :woohoo: First cook was Baby Backs that were outstanding, kept checking the dome tempature for some reason, never changed! Put on a Turkey Breast and the smokey flavor was great, just had a leftover sandwhich for lunch.

Trying some salmon tonight, anyone have any ideas on ceader plank samon?

It's official, I'm hooked :silly:

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Welcome to your new hobby!
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    I used a mustard and maple syrup marinade I found on the cover of one of those cedar planks. The flavor was great though I don't think the plank added all that much. I'll probably cook on the grid next time.

3 tbs dijon mustard
    3 tbs maple syrup
    salt and pepper
    1 tbs balsalmic vinegar.

Throw it all in a ziploc with the salmon and into the fridge for an hour (box said 15 minutes I did an hour)

Came out great, will make again minus the cedar plank.
  • Nardi513
    Sounds good, are you going direct heat if not using the plank?
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    If you have multiple salmon filets, I might try one on the grid.

Greg
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    I have grilled direct with less then fabulous results. I will try the plank next time just so the fish doesn't fall apart on the grill and offered to the egg god. I think the plank would be a good way to cook indirect and keep things intact.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    I prefer to do them direct,with a little alder wood for smoke flavor.As long as you don't overcook them,they will come off in one piece ;) These are filets with the skin still on.The skin helps to hold it together :)

011-8.jpg

014-6.jpg

009-9.jpg

010-7.jpg
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Welcome Nardi and grats on your egg purchase...I have made this planked salmon recipe several times and it always gets raves...
    Orange-BourbonSalmon002-1.jpg
    Planked Orange-and-Bourbon Salmon

1/4 cup bourbon
    1/4 cup fresh orange juice
    1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
    1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup chopped green onion
    3 tbsp chopped fresh chives
    2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    4 (6oz) salmon fillets (about 1 inch thick)

1. Combine first 8 ingredients in large zip lock plastic bag and add salmon to bag. Seal and marinade in refrigerator 1-1/2 hours, turning bag
    occassionally.
    2. Prepare egg for direct cooking at 350.
    3. Remove salmon from bag, reserving marinade. Place salmon on well soaked cedar plank(s) coated with cooking spray. Cook for 10-20 mins checking for doneness and baste frequently with reserved marinade until 5-10 mins before done (until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork).
    GOOD LUCK!
  • Nardi513
    Made the salmon using the Mustard/Maple/Balsamic mix, fish was cooked just the way we like it but a little too sweet for the wife. Will give the bouboun a try if I keep enough around for the actual marinade and out of my glass :evil: Thanks for the tips and receipes, you guys are always very helpful.