Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm a new owner

dls2122
dls2122 Posts: 66
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I received my 1st BGE last week and put it to full use over the 4th weekend. I have to be honest - I bought this expecting about 80% of the claims to be accurate (still worth it) - it's all true - I cooked rib eyes quicker and better than ever - hamburgers - same -- okay that's over blzing hot heat - how accurate is it to smoke over low heat? Ribs - 220 degrees - no problems keeping it low and lit without any additions or fuss (ribs were excellent but I overcooked just a little - my problem and I'll adjust in the future)- okay - how about in the middle - chicken - 350 degrees - wow - moist and flavorful. Okay - you got me - I'm already addicted!

My biggest question is - if you don't have a recipe, how do you know how long to cook things? Is there some rule of thumb? This is completely different than I'm used to. Trial and error can get expensive after a while. I've used recipes for the above successes. Thanks for any input you might have.

Comments

• Bought mine last week as well...but mine is still in the box as we went on vacation just hours after I bought it.
  • HungryNephew
    HungryNephew Posts: 267
    Welcome to both of you! I too have found that for burgers and dogs, there is really no difference from a gasser. It was the chicken that blew me away! So moist. Your guest (who are used to dried out chicken) with think that it is not cooked enough! I never had done any low and slow but I have no idea how you could keep a gas grill at 250 for 5 hours.

Most of us judge "doneness" by internal temp. The correct temp will vary based on type of meat and your preferences.
  • use a meat thermometer...its hard to mess anything up on the egg...create and have fun!
  • kolbdriver
    kolbdriver Posts: 403
    Yuo can find recipes for most anything you want to cook on this forum just ask, and welcome aboard.
  • time/temp think of your egg as an oven . poultry 20 minutes per pound at 350° lamb 15-20 minutes etc. higher temps quicker cook. buy a thermopen. figure 15 minutes per pound at 350. low and slow is an art and each peice of dead farm animal has its own 'personality'
    welcome and happy eggin
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Time is an estimate to help you plan when to start your cook... for most items. When searching the forum for recipes pay attention to the methods of cook (direct or indirect; and grid level), dome temp and what temp to pull. I use the type of thermometer that stays on the tray connected to the wire & probe inserted into the meat. Every time I trust the temp I’ve enjoyed the meal. ;)
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Watching the temp is good advice. You can tell a lot about doneness just by feeling the meat with your tongs/fork. The important thing is to stay in touch with your cook, even when following a recipe.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    I cooked on my egg(s) for some time and have always noticed a great taste difference from anyother bbq method. Even something as simple as hotdogs have come out better.

The biggest change to flavor was cooking to the correct food tempeture rather than cooking to time.

It is expensive but get a Thermoworks Thermopen instant read thermometer. It will be the best investment you will make for your eating enjoyment. Egg or not I use the thermopen all the time.

I will post some links for good egg recipe's in a few minutes.

Congratulations and welcome abord.

GG
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Welcome to the World of the BGE. As you have learned, these things are very forgiving. Recipes/Techniques are great but experience is no substitute. Eggsperimenting is half the fun.
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Welcome to both....and ah get that thing assembled....
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Keep an eye on your meat temps and you should be fine.

Other than that, try different things.

Personally, I am my own worst critic. I am always criticizing the cook, while everyone is saying how great it was.

Greg
  • SWOkla-Jerry
    SWOkla-Jerry Posts: 640
    Welcome to the cult, er forum. After my 1st cook, I started copying and pasting many recipes from this forum on a Word document. I then just recently bought the Living Cook Book, and now have a very extensive reference of recipes, both from this forum and from cooking sites online. Like the majority here has suggested, cook to temp, and experiment to your own tastes, and have fun.