Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Using an Egg on a covered porch

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am in the process of designing a new house, where the kitchen is on the second floor. I would like to have my Egg out on a covered porch. Does anybody have experience with this? What type of ventilation duct/fan setup would help control the smoke?[p]David Klein

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    David Klein,
    How about a kitchen hood with fan and light, all it will take is some electrical and the ductwork going out through the roof. (just like in the kitchen) When building new it should not cost an arm and a leg. If you were doing a remodel it could jack the cost way up. Just a thought.
    New Bob

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    David Klein,[p]One of my Eggs sits on my 3rd level deck where my kitchen is. It is on a screened porch but I must admit it has only been there a month or so. GFW has had one on a porch for 2-3 years. I am sure he will post the pic of it out there puffing away soon. If you have good breezes it will be just fine.[p]Enjoy[p]Tim
  • Strmn2Smoke
    Options
    David Klein,
    I have used my medium BGE on a covered second story porch for months and have had not one problem with smoke or even sparks from mesquite. I do have it in one outside corner, so there is usually at least some air current to whisk away the small amount of smoke that may be there briefly. I do not use newsprint to start the charcoal with, which does produce quite a bit of smoke at first, nothing major though. Would hae no qualms about reconmending it there...nde

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    David Klein, I have my mini on my side porch (and drag the large in if it's raining). I have a ceiling pan that pushed the smoke around pretty good but I think "New Bob" is right. Put a good quality vent-a-hood in and I think you will never regret it.