Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

IDEA what to do with BGE cap

Options
Chef Arnoldi
Chef Arnoldi Posts: 974
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The cap that comes with the BGE i replaced with a daisy wheel- now to make use of the ceramic cap, i drilled from inside the cap center, a 1/4" hole and can use it to do long slow cooks at about 250°F
while regulating the lower vent.

Comments

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Chef Arnoldi,
    What do you use when you shut down your egg, and when you are not using the egg? I thought the daisy wheel was used just when cooking.[p]~nikki

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    nikkig,
    You can probably shut it down with the daisy wheel. It just isn't as airtight. But how do you keep the rain out with a daisy wheel unless you cover it?[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Thats what I was wondering too. It would probably take alot longer to shut down too with the daisy wheel since it isn't airtight.[p]~nikki

• Julie
    Julie Posts: 133
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    I purchased a used BGE and have never had a ceramic lid. I have always used my daisy wheel. My BGE always sits out on my deck in all the Iowa weather without any cover. I have never had a problem extinguishing the charcoal, nor have I ever had a problem with wet or stale lump charcoal. If you are worried, you could always put aluminum foil over the ceramic chimney and then put your daisy wheel over it.

• The Naked Whiz,
    I don't know if all of the daisy wheel tops have the problem mine had, but mine didn't seal well either when I first got it. The pivot point didn't let the daisywheel sit flush with the cap. I simply drilled the pivot hole in the daisywheel just large enough to let it sit flush and then used a wavy type compression washer between the screw head and the the top of the rotating daisywheel. Now it shuts the egg down tight and it doesn't move when you raise the lid. I don't know why they didn't make them this way to begin with![p]Regards,
    Chuck Lane