Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Disaster friday at 3 AM

DonDon
DonDon Posts: 89
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
NEVER try and start a cook when you're still half asleep. I woke up early so I could put some ribs on and as usual, I put my lump into my egg, lite it and for some reason, put my plate setter on her as the coals got close to being ready. Went inside and got my ribs and as I opened up the egg I realized I forgot to put my wood chunks on. As I was taking the plate setter off my egg to put the wood on, I dropped the sucker on the concrete patio. aaahhhhhhhh I know right then I wouldn't get any sleep. Had to pull out bessie, my old Brinkman offset smoker and swap out the charcoal to it. MAN, I didn't realize how spoiled I was with my egg. I had to baby sit my ribs all night long and they weren't near as good as my Ribs from the Egg.

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    ouch! tough way to do a comparison of an egg and an offset :whistle:
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    I always load up my egg with lump during daylight hours. I distribute wood chunks throughout the lump which provides smoke during a long cook. I do keep them away from the areas I light, usually 9, 12, and 3 o'clock positions. I have picked up my platesetter hot before but would rather avoid doing so.
  • BBQ BELT
    BBQ BELT Posts: 11
    All hope was not lost. I do not have a platesetter yet and what I do is place a water pan on the grate w/water or liquid of choice and place my ribs on the grill extender. They turn out awesome and I do not have to baby sit them.
  • DonDon
    DonDon Posts: 89
    Just got to go pick up another one sometime this week cause mine's in about 15 pieces LOL
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Personally the wood chunks were not worth taking the chance. Those ribs would have tasted excellent with or without the wood chunks
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Next time you may want to try this ..take a 15 oz tin can, using a philips screw driver punch holes in the bottom of the can. Place the can in the middle of your grate. Pour your lump around the can but leave a section that is clear. Do this before you turn in.
    Get up, fire up the chiminey, put your smokin wood chips in the can. Dump your lump in the clear section and go make coffee. mi$.02
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • When I forget to add chunks, I just life up one side of the platesetter with tongs, ash cleanout tool or welding gloves and throw the chuncks in there.
  • ChitownBBQ
    ChitownBBQ Posts: 72
    I hate that. I always forget to add the chips/chunks.

I don't have a plate setter though. I have a rectagular grid that covers my hanger and it holds 6 fire bricks. I can disassemble enough to get wood in safely.

With baking stones, drip pans & fire bricks, I've just never needed the plate setter.

Your mileage may vary, of course.