Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Possible "phishing" emails

WMK
WMK Posts: 1,747
edited November -1 in Forum Feedback
All,

I've heard that one of our new members might be "phishing" for email addresses.
Have any of you received an email like the one below?

WMK

"NOTE:This is a message from name-removed at eggheadforum.com ( http://www.eggheadforum.com ). This user did not see your email address. If you reply the receipent will have your email address. eggheadforum.com owners cannot accept any responsibility for the contents of the email.

how do you like your green egg....+'s and -'s please.

thank you"

Comments

• TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Yep! I got one. The message was a little different. I did reply with no response. Spyware and Virus have been on OT since. Don't know if it is coincidence or not. If more info will help just contact.
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    I have not received it.

However, I am pretty sure that someone from the Forum phished my previous email address.

After which, they started sending email as if they were from my account. Eventually, I had to close the account.

Greg
  • Yep, I got this one Sunday:

"NOTE:This is a message from BeerBQ at eggheadforum.com ( http://www.eggheadforum.com ). This user did not see your email address. If you reply the receipent will have your email address. eggheadforum.com owners cannot accept any responsibility for the contents of the email.

Hey RR,

I saw your table on Naked Whiz's site and really liked the finished look. What type of wood did you use? Pine? and what did you use to finish it - color/stain/sealant, etc? Looks great!"

I guess it didn't pay to be nice as I did respond.
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    This begs the question: What do my occasional through-the-forum e-mails to forum members look like? My guess is that they would look like the one you received. Might want to check with BeerBQ to see if he sent you a legitimate message.

Administrators: can you clarify this for us?
  • This is the error message I got when I responded to the e-mail:

This report relates to a message you sent with the following header fields:

Message-id:
    Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2008 22:59:05 +0000 (GMT)
    To: BeerBQ@liquidweb.millerhouse.com,
    "eggheadforum.com"
    Subject: Re: Egg Table

Your message cannot be delivered to the following recipients:

Recipient address: BeerBQ@liquidweb.millerhouse.com
    Reason: Remote SMTP server has rejected address
    Diagnostic code: smtp;550 Unrouteable address
    Remote system: dns;liquidweb.millerhouse.com (TCP|167.206.4.198|62535|72.52.255.200|25) (liquidweb.millerhouse.com ESMTP Exim 4.69 #1 Sun, 06 Jul 2008 18:59:06 -0400 )
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i believe EVERY reply you make to an email received via the forum begets an error response, and yet the mail does seem to still go thru.

you'll notice it's replying to the "millerhouse" domain, which is part of the automated email sent from this site. but i've found that a copy actually (usually) dalso oes make it to the person you replied to, at their registered (real) email address.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    FWIW, I've replied to many of these emails and never gotten an error unless Outlook is somehow hiding them from me.
    The Naked Whiz
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    I got one last week, seem ok as it was about a topic on the forum and no real threat was seen
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i get one every time i reply, alnost. sometimes the sender's email is their 'real' email, and sometimes it is "thenakedwhiz@eggforum.com" or something similarly cobbled together. those are the ones that bounce back. and yet i invariably get an email a little later from my intended recipient. weird-o-rama
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    I think I just got a phishing email from someone using freedom 9355@ g...
  • WMK
    BajaTom,

What makes you think it is phishing instead of a valid question? Is it from someone that you do not know? That email address is registered.
  • WMK
    Stanley,

They will all look the same unfortunately. It's just a judgement call whether you feel that the sender is legit or not. The one to Retired RailRoader looks legit to me (assuming he does in fact have a table posted on TNW's site). It seems doubtful (though possible I suppose) that a "phisher" would go to the trouble to browse TNW's site before "casting their line". Though real fishermen do in fact go to a great deal of trouble to make their bait look appetizing.

I don't think we have a serious issue, but since I received an inquiry about it, I wanted to see if there was a whole slew of these things like the one in my post were going out. It doesn't appear like there are.
  • WMK
    Retired RailRoader,

That one appears legit to me; though it is a judgement call. Assuming you have a table posted on TNW's site, then it's probably a legitimate request for more information.

The possible "phishing" email was a bit more generic than that. One could imagine it being sent to just about any of our members instead of being individually targeted to just one.
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    I've never seen a post by that handle. I did not open the email because I usually don't get unsolicted emails from the egg forum. Thanks, Tom
  • WMK
    BajaTom,

He has over 400 posts. Perhaps just none recently. Soon we're going to have the often requested search for posts by user capability -- we are testing it now along with a much improved general search feature.