Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak Flare ups

Options
mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is getting old. I get egg up to about 650-700 and put on the steaks. Sear for a couple mins and when I open it up to turn, there are flames SOOO high that I have a hell of a time turning it. So I kill the air flow and wait a minute for it to die down. THen open up the bottom again to avoid the dreaded flash and finally turn. But by then, I've had at least 1-2 minutes too long on sear and I'm getting some charred parts. I usually spray each side with olive oil after the rub (char crust or dizzy pig or such), but don't think that is what is doing it. Either way, it has got to stop. Suggestions?

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    MollyShark,
    Have you tried shutting down just the lower vent? Perhaps not all the way, but most of the way? That might reduce the size of the flames and you wouldn't have to wait for things to die down.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    MollyShark,[p]These things are super! I use them all the time now. Even bought a set for each of my sons-in-law. The big one keeps your arm out of the flames. It's my opinion that, until you open the dome and get that big rush of air there isn't that much in the way of flames.
    Anyway, the Pig Tails work . . . try 'um[p]Carey[p]PS Waiting for the dill bread. ;>)

[ul][li]Pig Tails[/ul]
  • mollyshark
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Will try that. Fortunately I don't have hairy arms (after that one flashback I had I'm surprised I have a hairy head!), but tired of burnt steak![p]I'll try this and will try the pigtails.[p]Sundown...will bring dill to eggfest! And probably a bunch more.[p]Maybe these steaks have too much fat on them, too. I'm partial to prime ribeye and that's a pretty marbled thing. Will let you know howsit goes.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Sundown,
    Tell me more please. The website is more than lame. How does it work? Do you poke the meat? [p]Beers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    MollyShark,
    I agree with TNW, I shut my bottom vent for about 10 to 15 seconds before opening the dome. I do open it slowly or burp it a time or two. I also use grilla gloves and long tongs to turn the meat. I will still have some flames but not as bad as just opening the dome while the bottom vent is open.
    Good Luck,
    New Bob
    I got my gloves at BBQ Galore in the fireplace section.

[ul][li]Grilla Gloves[/ul]
  • Big Ed
    Big Ed Posts: 23
    Options
    New Bob,[p]I got a pair of welder's gloves at Lowes. They work great and will protect from heat for quite a while.[p]Big Ed

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Got my Pigtails just before Xmas. all there is is a very sharp hook on the front end and I gotta tell ya the dang things work! There's a little guy and a Mongo one you could flip a side o beef with. It's about the only thing I use any more and my sons-in-law continue to swear by them. I still use the tongs for veggies most of the time but I even flip summer squash. Used them on ribs, steaks, chops, chicken parts . . . most everything. This is one of those "toys" you'll love Chris go get a set!

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    Sundown,[p]I have them also and you are correct, they are super. The only questiopn i have is that you sear things to keep the juices in then these poke a hole to let them out. It hasn't been a problem for steaks and fast cook stuff but I wonder what effect, if any, it would have on longer cooks. Just a thought. have a great day.[p]Chuck <><

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    MollyShark,[p]It's the fat. I do filets and strip steaks a lot and don't have any problems with flareups (other than the 700° itself which is formidable) because I trim all the fat off 1st. [p]Tim
  • mollyshark
    Options
    Big Ed,[p]Gloves. Now why didn't I see that as an obvious solution. I have to go to Home Despot and get a new hose anyway...I'll pick up some welder's gloves or whatever they have. I ordered the pig tail last night. Should be ready to try again any time now.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    MollyShark,[p]Of course, if you are using fresh lump, you will get the blue flames of the burning volatile organic compounds. When I load the egg up with fresh lump and get the fire up to 700 degrees, you can see the blue flames coming out the top vent. (see my flashback video on my website) Are the flames you see the pale blue flames of fresh lump or the brighter yellow flames of burning fat?[p]TNW
    [ul][li]The Naked Whiz's Flashback Webpage[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Bordello
    Options
    Big Ed,
    Yes, good thought. I just happened to see the grilla gloves when I was buying my first egg. I knew about the flashback from the forum and had seen "Long Gloves" help protect the arm.
    New Bob

• Bordello
    Options
    MollyShark,
    The longer the gloves go up the are the better, I believe welder's gloves come both short and long. Get the long ones, it really helps.
    A great weekend to ya,
    New Bob

• mollyshark
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Usually I'm squinting so I'm really not sure. I'll check and report back![p]mShark