Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

turkey

deltadawn
deltadawn Posts: 94
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm thinking of trying a turkey. Most of the recipes use 350 degrees. Is there any reason why I couldn't cook at a lower temp? Will a lower temp make the meat dry or will it be just as good as maybe a pork roast cooked slow? I realize it will take longer, but would like to get it going at a stable lower temp and forget about it for a while. What does everyone think? Thanks......

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    i dont think its recommended to cook a turkey below 325 for safety reasons, but ive smoked plenty around 250. the texture is alot different, they come out moist but the meat sticks somewhat to your teeth (gummy) when chewing, not like a roasted turkey. frozen kosher birds seem to come out better than fressh, dont use any stuffing whatsoever and pick a bird no larger than about 16 pounds. i probably wouldnt serve to kids or elderly, its something we do on fishing trips when we set things up early in the morning and come home just before dark, have only really done it in a gas style smoker over a water pan, 325 roasted turkey comes out better when the time is there to cooke it.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • There's no reason to cook a turkey low and slow. It doesn't have all that cologin that needs to be rendered before it can be considered edible. Also, cooking at a lower temp will prevent the skin from crisping up. All in all a lose/lose proposition.

Bill

by the way: What's that flower you have on?
  • deltadawn
    deltadawn Posts: 94
    Okay, thanks for answering my questions, it sounds like it will take at least 5 hrs anyway, so time shouldn't be that much of a problem. Certainly don't want anyone sick!
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Be carefule here. 24 lb turkey at 325 only takes 3.5 hours, no stuffing.
  • East Bay Al
    East Bay Al Posts: 101
    Here is the BGE's most famous turkey recipe:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm

Easy to follow directions for sure fire results.