Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking *ON* the coals

Options
Fritz
Fritz Posts: 179
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In a thread below folks mention searing meat directly on the coals. I have never done this and want to hear some testimonies from those who have.[p]I have cooked some root vegetables on the coals with some success. Potatoes, sweet potatoes, onions and beets have all turned out good, though the outer layer is too burned to be eaten, and that is what worries me about doing a steak directly on the coals.[p]BTW, Mary and I have moved this summer and I now live about 2 blocks from where I work so I have about ten more hours a week to cook on the BGE. :-)[p]Fritz

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Fritz,
    I, the Naked Whiz, aka Whiz, attest that I have personally cooked steaks by placing them directly on the red hot coals. They were great. I have one observation, though. If you have put any rub on the steaks, (I like to use Montreal Steak Seasoning) it will basically disappear. But it works great, and is a real crowd pleaser. Oooh, ahhh.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    Fritz,
    The Whiz has spoken, and you can book it! The Whiz knows about what he writes!
    Just need a glass of wine to go with the steak!
    Hammer

• Fritz
    Fritz Posts: 179
    Options
    TNW,[p]What kind of steak did you use and what were the times and thickness?[p]Did you lose much of it?[p]Fritz