Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3-1-1 Method Question

East Cobb Eggy
East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
All that use the 3-1-1 method on ribs.

Does anyone reapply any rub or turbinado sugar after the foiling?

I am asking because I just unfoiled and seem to have lost my bark.

Greg

Comments

• Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    I do not add rub after foil...I put back on the egg on raised grid direct and apply sauce to the bone side and let carmelize about 15-20 mins then flip and sauce the back side for another 15-20 mins..uhm..where did your bark go??..hard to imagine it escaped the foil! :blink: :woohoo: ..just cooked these yesterday...
    070508RibsBeansnCorn006.jpg
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    The makings of the bark just got steamed up in the foil unless you washed it away or something. You'll see it firm up and brown up in the last stage. You're OK! PS you did smear with mustard at the start didn't you?...
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Did not put the mustard on the ribs. I wanted to take it slow by just adding the turbinado sugar to my ribs cook.

Will probably add the mustard next time, but just wanted to better see the effect of different ingredients.

Greg
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    I do not follow your response East Egg..did you originally add rub or did you just add turbinado sugar??...if you just did turbi sugar during the foil, then it should have dissolved and/or carmelized and should not have affected your bark...mustard is not mandatory to having bark on your meat...I've done it with and without mustard on many occassions...
  • East Cobb Eggy
    I prepped my ribs using the rub and turbinado sugar with no mustard.

This is the first time I tried using turbinado sugar since I have gotten good results on my ribs. Recently, I have only been using the rubs.

I did not add mustard, because I would like to see the effect of each of the ingredients instead of changing too much from my previous good results.

Hope this makes sense.

Greg
  • East Cobb Eggy
    I prepped my ribs using the rub and turbinado sugar with no mustard.

This is the first time I tried using turbinado sugar since I have gotten good results on my ribs. Recently, I have only been using the rubs.

I did not add mustard, because I would like to see the effect of each of the ingredients instead of changing too much from my previous good results.

Hope this makes sense.

Greg
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I am using the 6-6-2 method on my ribs today. Six hours without opening the dome, Six beers, and TWO margarita's. No foiling, no meat thermometer, no sauce. Rub was parprika, sugar, salt, & pepper. Going old school,even if I am using the best grill ever made. Gonna eat them with white bread and Budweiser(ok, Miller Lite).
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Very nice, Ron.

I have been drinking some beer myself.

Greg
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    A....ma.....zing....Ribs!!!
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: that's more like my type of cooking!!! Re-la-xed!!
  • I've got to try that the next time! Definitely ribs tomorrow night! I did turkey thighs tonight and only had time for one beer a rather tasty Sam Adams Cherry Wheat.
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Yeah, I buy those variety packs of Sam Adams all the time.

I really like them.

Greg
  • cigarstock
    cigarstock Posts: 61
    My kind of cooking. As a newbie, if anyone knows of a South Georgia Eggfest or a North Ga one during UGA football season, please let me know.
    Thanks,
    Rick
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    You da man! :) Funniest dang post in a long time.

Mike