Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Saltpeter: Love it, hate it, scared of it?

Options
UnConundrum
UnConundrum Posts: 536
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We frequently visit Montreal, and for years I've been bringing home the spice blend used by Schwartz's for smoked beef. I buy it in bulk (Usually about 5 pounds) so there's no ingredients list, but I'm pretty sure they have saltpeter in it.

About two weeks ago I did an 18# chuck for our staff, and my wife asked that I use the Montreal seasoning. It's been years since I used it on something that big, so I seasoned it up, pretty liberally, and let it sit for about 3 hours before it went in the egg. That roast was the most tender I've ever done, and the smoke ring was to die for. A good inch and a half into the meat.... seriously.... My wife says it's the best I've ever done, although the source of the meat, and the cooking process was always the same.

I did a little research on saltpeter and learned that it was a tenderizer and preservative. It's actually potassium nitrate that turns into a nitrite, that isn't the best for us, but... we haven't stopped eating pastrami sausage, or hot dogs either. It's also used in cigarettes, ice cream and toothpaste for sensitive teeth. So, I was wondering why it's never mentioned here either alone, or as a rub ingredient.

BTW, according to everything I've read, the theory that it affects your sex life is an urban legend. confirming link

Comments