Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cooking butts without the bark???

Options
citychicken
citychicken Posts: 484
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
my relatives just love pulled pork - it isn't very popular up here in northeastern ohio. so pulled pork it is for the holidays and i'm the guy that does it on the egg for our holiday get-togethers. the majority of them though, seem to like it without the bark.

does anyone have a good technique (besides doing it in a crockpot) to ensure a minimal layer of bark?

Comments

• Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    After a few of where you get some good smoke flavor wrap it in foil. The foil will stop the bark from forming.
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    Sorry, I meant after a few hours of getting the smoke flavor in the meat, wrap it in foil.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I dunno.... Pulled pork with no bark sounds like turkey with no dressing & gravy... As was mentioned, probably foiling the butt much earlier will prevent a crust from setting up. Some added apple juice/apple cider vinegar will probably enhance the process. My blessings for your attempts to please your guests!!
  • citychicken
    Options
    i was thinkin you meant after a few shots of tequilla and a beer-back or two no one would notice the bark. ha-ha. thanks for clarifyin that.
  • Ike Witt
    Ike Witt Posts: 195
    Options
    Yesterday, Susan Egglaine did a post on cooking a butt
    wrapped in plastic and foil the whole time. She said that it came out terrific and the plastic didnt melt.
    She didnt mention the bark, but i would tend to think this type of cook might reduce the bark....why dont you ping her....and ask.

good luck

The topic id was Plastic butt wrap...and is on yesterdays postings.

ac
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Rascal,

I have to say that I agree.

It is like Koolaid with no sugar.

Greg
  • citychicken
    Options
    thanks for your help
  • Mahi-Mahi
    Mahi-Mahi Posts: 162
    Options
    I like mine the same way. I set of my XL with a 19 inch stone hung by a hanger from eggaccessories. So their is a only a small area all around the egg for the heat to travel up. Than I use two rods to hold a 18 inch drip pan above the stone a few inches. I than use the flip ring from eggaccessories to raise the grate a few inches above the seal. If you look at the setup number 2 a on the eggaccessories you will see the setup.
    I get very little bark with this system. By raising it as far up as you can you have a more gentle heat. I have a 19 inch shield and a 18 inch drip pan that keeps heat even.
    If you do not exceed 240 degrees and if you keep your bb inside the drip pan , you will not have any burnt meat. It will dark on about 50 percent of the outside area but very thin and not normally falls off in areas that have fat on the outside.

I think if added apple juice to a drip pan and kept it full you would even get less bark. It does on the ribs I cook.
    [/urlhttp://www.eggaccessories.com/xl.html[url][/url]