Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mojo Pork

Options
Frank from Houma
Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
By request from my judges I Egged some mojo pork (cuban style pork) for the 4th.

Two butts are better than one
IMG_0846800x600.jpg

IMG_0855800x600.jpg

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    What's your formula for the Mojo rub/sauce? Looks great!! 8 - )~~
  • 02Roush2
    02Roush2 Posts: 119
    Options
    I sure hope they tasted as great as they look! I haven't tried cuban style pork yet although I am sure it can be found at some local Cuban restaurants. Looks like a successful venture.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Looking good! Interesting setup... mojo pork, on top of a grate, on top of a plate setter, on top of a drip pan, on top of another grate. :)
  • Oledog
    Oledog Posts: 118
    Options
    Looks great! How is Cuban Style made?

Chris
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I knew someone would smoke me out on that. :laugh:

My plate setter is in four pieces :( so I put it on top of the grate. Put it back together with JB Weld and it held together for a while but came apart again - I'll try something different to get it to hold together.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Here is the whole recipe. I found this on food network but it just went to sliced pork. I modified to take it up to 185 - 190 for pulling. I leave the butt in the pan until about 175 basting every once in a while and then put it on top of the grate so it's not sitting in fat.

It wouldn't hurt to double the mojo dipping sauce - it's pretty popular. I'm making some more now to put together a pizza with some of the left over pork.

Ingredients
    4 1/2 cups fresh orange juice, divided
    1 1/4 cups fresh lime juice, divided
    Zest of 1 orange
    Zest of 1 lime
    1/4 cup finely chopped fresh oregano
    1/2 cup garlic, coarsely chopped
    1/2 cup olive oil
    1 bone-in pork shoulder (about 4 to 6-pounds), trimmed of excess fat
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Combine 4 cups of the orange juice and 1 cup of the lime juice and zest in a large saucepan over high heat and reduce to 2 cups.
    Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining orange juice and lime juice garlic, oregano and olive oil.
    Let cool to room temperature.

Marinate the pork roast in the refrigerator over night
    Remove the pork from the refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking.
    Place roast and marinade in a pan
    Add fresh ground black pepper to taste
    Cook at dome temp of 250 until internal temperature of 195-200
    Occasionally baste with the juices in the pan
    Wrap with HDAF and place in a cooler for an hour or so
    Pull and enjoy with Mojo dipping sauce

Mojo Dipping Sauce:
    8 cloves garlic, chopped
    2 serrano chiles, chopped
    3 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
    Salt
    1/2 cup orange juice
    1/4 cup lime juice
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    Using a mortar and pestle, mash the garlic, serrano, cilantro and a few pinches of salt until it becomes a paste. Add the orange juice, lime juice and oil and stir to combine.

If you don't have a mortar and pestle - use a food processor.

Buen Provecha
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm can almost smell it Frank, will have to cook one of those sometime.
  • Edg
    Edg Posts: 5
    Options
    I tried a boston butt myself.... I am new to the egg and this was my 1st attempt.... I did the injection as shown in the egg cook book that comes with the egg and oated it with mustard and then sprinkled the rub on it... I had the temp at 250 and placed it on the grill at 6:30pm last night... when I got up this morning at 6:30am the temp was down to 100 and the meat was chared to a crisp.... Was highly dissapointed in myself as we have company coming after church to eat.... I did not use my place setter was that the problem???? The recipe in the cook book said to cook for 18 hours at 230.... I have been having a very hard time cooking at the lower temps (below 275) looking for help... thanks
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I've never tried Mojo pork before but now I've got some great ideas to work with! Muchas Gracias!!
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Absolutely use the platesetter (or something else to ensure an indirect cook) and a drip pan. I'm controling my long cooks with the vents, therefore I

1) Clean out any ash to ensure proper air flow
    2) Load up almost to the top of the fire ring to make sure I don't run out of lump during the cook - I have plenty left over for subsequent cooks, and
    3) Light the egg about 1-1/2 to 2 hours before the meat goes on to ensure that the temps are stabilized. I only do this for low and slow cooks
    4) Light the Egg in three spots to avoid a vertical burn
    5) Check it several times before I hit the sack.

So far this has been working for me
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe! Sounds (and looks) wonderful. Just bookmarked it - gotta try it!
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Frank,
    I never said there was anything wrong with that. I just wanted to know if you had learned some new grill master guru technique, and thought that you might be holding out on us. :lol:
  • Edg
    Edg Posts: 5
    Options
    good stuff.. thanks for the input I love how the egg cooks but it does take some getting use to,,,,