Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st All-Nighter....

Options
02Roush2
02Roush2 Posts: 119
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well cooking on a BGE anyway... :) Put a 10.5 Lb brisket on the BGE at midnight. It's now 1;39 am and I'm too wired for bed! Internal temp is showing at 107 F with a dome temp of 290. I think I'll let the dome temp drop a little closer to 250 (if it will!) and then see how that works. Probably grab a few winks and then roll out of bed to do a BGE check...

Comments

• 02Roush2
    Options
    Well, not looking so good with this one. I'm just a little over 6 1/2 hrs into the cook and the probe shows a temp of 196 in the point although "only" 189 in the flat. The probe couldn't slide in and out any easier. The brisket sure seems tender but there is no way a 10.5 Lb brisket cooks this fast and is edible...right? The dome temp did climb to about 320 and is now around 300.

Any suggestions besides try again another time?? :)
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    That's pretty fast, but my last brisket was a 8.5 pound flat (with just a little point not trimmed away,) and it finished in 7 hours. I had it way up into the dome, and I did run at just under 300 for maybe 2 hours. It was the most tender brisket I've made, although just a touch dry. So, foil it up, and fix some sauce.
  • 02Roush2
    Options
    I appreciate the help. I may let it go a little longer yet. I just passed the 8 hr mark and the dome temp has stabilized at 270 and the flat is at 190 and has been for a while now. I am wondering if the point is just too fatty to give an accurate reading. The difference between the point and flat was about 10 degrees with the point being 10 degrees warmer. I may try to wait until the flat is closer to 200 and then pull, foil and rest the thing for a few hours..... Thanks again!
  • 02Roush2
    Options
    So much for letting it go longer! After 8 3/4 hrs I pulled the brisket, foiled it and wrapped in towels and then put it in the cooler. I guess I'll let it rest for a few hours and then take a look at it for lunch instead of dinner. Looks great, smells great and seems to be extremely tender but I guess time will tell.