Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Word or Two on Boneless Boston Butts

Options
TRex
TRex Posts: 2,714
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First of all, Happy Belated 4th to everyone out there - perusing the forum this morning it looks like many of you and your friends and family ate VERY well yesterday.

My dad and I cooked three 6 lb boneless boston butts for about 25 adults yesterday up at Clarks Hill Lake. I was a bit worried b/c I have never cooked a boneless butt. We got them from Fresh Market here in Augusta - it was very lean, grain-fed pork, bone had been removed and they were tied back very well.

Here's how the cook went: cooked the three butts on a Medium Egg, so I had to stack them pyramid style - coated with yellow mustard, turbinado, and Dizzy Shakin' the Tree, used a mixture of Hickory and Guava for the wood. Cooked them the first 2.5 hrs at 275 dome until internal temps were around 145, after which time I took the dome down to about 250. 8.5 hours later they were all at 190-195 internal - whoa, I wasn't expecting them to be done so soon. Foiled them and put in a cooler for 5 hours. Then pulled some of the most moist, most tender and flavorful pork we've cooked to-date. The flavor was wonderful - everyone was pleased.

So, if you want to cook butts and you want a faster cook with still great results, don't be afraid of these boneless suckers. The leaness of the meat probably also attributed to the shorter cook time. I will definitely do these again.

YB - if you read this - have you tried these boneless butts from Fresh Market? - I highly recommend them.

Best,

Jason

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Hey Jason good to hear from you.I have never tried a boneless butt from the frest market but I will give them a try.Just finished yard work and going out for lunch.Hope to see you soon.
    Larry
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    JAson,

I also wonder if the fact they were fresh butts that hadn't been sitting in a puddle of fluid in a cryovac package.

I got a shoulder from a local Portuguese meat market right out of the meat case. It smelled fresh and one of the little old ladies looked at me and smiled when I asked to smell it.

The shoulder cooked a bit quicker than usual and had a much better taste.

Hey! Maybe we're on to something.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Hey Jason good to hear from you and congratulations on the cook with your Dad.
    Got a 15 pounder beef top sirloin for tonight, and would like to ask you how to treat this baby.....TKS My friend

The label from Costco says marbled aged & tender.
    DSCN3417.jpg
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    I saw some boneless butts at Publix, but was reluctant to purchase.

I will remember this for next time.

Greg
  • TRex
    Options
    Whoa - never cooked a whole top sirloin roast, but I would probably do it like a prime rib - sear then roast direct raised grid around 275 - 300 or so until 125 internal. Does it have a lot of fat?

You could also cut it into 2" thick steaks and you know what to do from there.

Maybe someone else on here has done a whole roast.

Good luck, my friend.

jason
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I did four bone-ins yesterday for a crowd about the size of yours, and they took a lot longer than I had expected because my lump burned down shockingly fast...I'm still learning to use the Adjustable Rig, I think.

I took them off at 195, but only had an hour to foil them. It still did the trick, though I would have liked to have had 3-4 hours...I'm a real convert to the foil-and-rest method.

Never tried a boneless, I'd have thought they'd take a little longer without the bone conducting heat in.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Yes it does have a lot of fat......should I sear it in the stove & then do the normal cook on the egg??
  • TRex
    Options
    That would work - or in a cast iron pan on the stovetop (but unplug your smoke alarm!!) :woohoo:

Good luck - post your results!

jason
  • Steeler Fan
    Steeler Fan Posts: 395
    Options
    Gosh, when did you move to these parts? I've lived in the CSRA since they renamed it Thurmond Lake. I,m not on this forum as often as I would like. Thought you wee in Atlanta or Texas.
  • TRex
    Options
    Oh - haha - I'm in Atlanta, but grew up in Augusta and my parents and lots of family still here - visiting for the 4th.

Happy 5th!

jason
  • TRex
    Options
    Larry, hope you're enjoying the 4th weekend. See you guys at Eggtoberfest?

jason
  • Porco Rosso
    Options
    I had a similar experience on the 5th, Trex. I'm a newbie and I couldn't do my third butt cook overnight like in the past because of thunder storms, so I went with 2 boneless 4.5s instead of one 9 pounder and started at 6 am. It was a smooth 8 hour cook with a nice almost 4-hour plateau from 160-173, when I decided to turned the heat up to 275 from 220.

I figured the small boneless butts would dry out faster so I pulled one at 189 and the other at 193, instead of going to 200 like I normally do.

The 193 butt was the best I'd every cooked - moist, flavorful smoky - great bark. Everybody just flipped for it. The 189 butt was harder to pull, had a little too much un-rendered fat, which made the bark not as good.

But after that 193 butt, I think from now on I'll always pull at 195. The butts I cooked to 200 were not nearly as tender.

By the way, Trex, I love the steak method. Use it all the time.