Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mold

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am a newbie and I did a butt several weeks ago. I had removed my drip pan, but did not unwrap the foil I had placed around the platesetter after the cook. In the meantime it has rained and rained here in the midwest.
I opened my XLG BGE just now to prep for some pork spare ribs (not baby back) and got quite the surprise. There was bluish mold all over the top grate and there is a little bit of mold around the top of the fire ringand just a little bit on the felt. I have hand washed the top grate, but what do you suggest I do about the other mold. Take the innards apart for a good cleaning or just fire up the Egg and 'autoclave' it? I am not a microbiologist.........but I am concerned the felt area will not get hot enough to sterilize the egg. HELP!

Comments

• FatDog
    FatDog Posts: 39
    Load'er up with lump, open the bottom grate, take off the daisy wheel and let the fire do its magic. I had to "prefire" my large egg yesterday before I could prep for the cookout. As it turns out, that prefire got the egg mass up to temp so my regular cooking fire took almost no time to stabilize.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    No need to be embarrassed - Mold happens! It's a climate situation prevalent where conditions are wet as well as humid. Just fire up Humpty and it goes away - and in the future just egg more often!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.