Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

July 4 pork loin is ready

Options
run4jc
run4jc Posts: 107
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Happy 4th, all. What a great country - and how cool to share our obsession in this forum.

Although my new DigiQ's pit probe is defective (and I know Fred will take care of me), I used the food probe to monitor this pork loin. This is only half - I had pulled and wrapped the other half before I thought to take photos.....pulled it at 166.....

IMG_1662.jpg

The smell was amazing....

IMG_1665.jpg

Another view

IMG_1663.jpg

Now I'm going to pull it, wrap it in foil and a towel and let it sit in a cooler until dinnertime.

IMG_1664.jpg

Happy 4th All!

Comments

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Looks great! I'm grabbing my fork and I'll be right over!
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Looking good.

How long do the probes last on the DigiQ and how high a temp can you go up to?

Greg
  • run4jc
    Options
    I just got mine - I don't know how long they last, but my first pit probe is bad out of the box. the probes look like the real deal, though - armored with a metal braid - much more solid looking than the gard variety probes you normally see. I've read that they last indefinitely if you don't abuse them.
  • run4jc
    Options
    Come on over! Funny - the meat was tasty, but the half that I showed is what we served and when I unwrapped it I had about a half cup of juice (liquid gold) that I captured. Problem is that I think that juice should have been in the meat - my goodness, it rested wrapped in foil, a towel and stored in a cooler for 3 hours!

I THINK that this was the problem.....when I pulled the probe I could see the juice leaking and I think it was as if the meat 'sprang a leak' and let all my juice out.
    Sad

However, I still have the other half and it has no probe hole.......we'll see.

Bummer - lotsa leftovers to eat - pork loin from today and sausage and chicken from yesterday. Gotta eat it all before I can cook anything else.

Happy 4th!
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Unfortunately, anytime you poke a hole in some thing, the juices tend to run out. That's why so many folks use tongs rather than long forks. Try injecting the gold back into the meat, or cook it down and use as a glaze. But hey, you did great on loin! Good job!
  • run4jc
    Options
    Great ideas - thanks. We did use the juice as a sauce.

I'm with you - I use tongs - this hole was from the temp probe. Next time I'll leave it in!

Thanks - I've come to the realization that egg'n is an art form......

:laugh: