Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with today's cook

Options
Smokin' Jacket
Smokin' Jacket Posts: 62
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been asked today to "just cook"...

Her is what SWMBO is telling me to do:

Tonights dinner..planked salmon, bacon wrapped scallops and skewered shrimp (for those who eat seafood). For those that don't know what they are missing...chicken breasts. That is tonights dinner for one of our friends turning 50 tomorrow. I am probably feeding 12 people, I have (5) pieces of salmon, 20 scallops and 3 skewers of shrimp. I think that will fill the egg pretty full. SWMBO told me to cook the chicken prior to the seafood and she would keep it warm in the oven.

AFTER I finish dinner tonight it is time for about 12 pounds of Boston Butt for an overnight cook. Unfortunately, I have messed up this cook already I AM OUT OF DIZZY DUST :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: I went to the grocery store and all I found was a "Chef Paul....." Magic Grilling seasoning.

So any suggestions on set-up for tonights dinner and moving in to the overnight would be much appreciated. Obviously the best solution ....a second egg! one large is not enough.

Comments

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    You can always use salt, pepper, paprika, galic, brown sugar, etc. for a rub. I like it better than those spices. Just burn off the fish lingerings before putting the butts on. HTH.
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    This is a great rub recipe from Mike Mills, a BBQ champion. He has a "warehouse" full of trophy's.
    He has a restaurant in IL, and 2 in Vegas.
    Hope this helps.

Magic Dust
    Recipe from: Peace, Love, & Barbecue
    by Mike Mills, Amy Mills Tunnicliffe
    Cookbook Heaven at Recipelink.com

There's a big shaker of Magic Dust next to the salt and pepper in my own kitchen and at all my restaurants. I wish I could figure out a way to attach the bottle to the restaurant tables because, at my restaurants, it's the most frequently stolen item!

To make it a little more hot and spicy, increase the mustard powder and black pepper to 1/4 cup each.

Makes about 2 1/2 cups

1/2 cup paprika

1/4 cup kosher salt, finely ground

1/4 cup sugar

2 tablespoons mustard powder

1/4 cup chili powder

1/4 cup ground cumin

2 tablespoons ground black pepper

1/4 cup granulated garlic

2 tablespoons cayenne

Mix all ingredients and store in a tightly covered container.

You'll want to keep some in a shaker next to the grill or stove. Keeps indefinitely but won't last long.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Do you mix it yourself? Do you sell it?