Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt Question

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Having read the "bland butt" thread below, I've got a question because I'm merely months away from trying my first (it will be that long before I get up the nerve!)[p]I really want to try and capture the North Carolina vinegar taste that I've experienced many times in the past but I'm not sure just mopping with a vinegar sauce would do the trick (plus I keep reading that you shouldn't open the BGE once you start the cook.)[p]I'm thinking about injecting the butt with the vinegar sauce before starting the cook. Have any of you done that with success?[p]What would be the best way to impart that all important vinegary taste to the butt?[p]Thanks!

Comments

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Skwerl X,[p]I don't mop at all when I'm cooking a butt, and I've never used an injector. When I serve my pulled pork, I always serve the vinegar sauce on the side and let my guests decide if they want sauce or not (and I also put out a bottle of thicker, tomato-based sauce, since some people prefer that).

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Skwerl X,
    I'm a huge fan off the vinegar tasting NC pulled pork. I followed Elder Wards instructions to a tee, from the rub to the two sauces he uses. It was better than I could have hoped for. Just follow his instruction to a tee, maybe let the temp get a bit higher to make it easier, allthough I don't. I keep it around 210* and have had luck holding that, however it only takes once to go out.
    I would start your cook early in the day with as much time to stabalize the egg as possible. My first butt, I was up every hour the check the temp.
    Good Luck!

Apollo Beach, FL
  • char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Skwerl X,[p]A little vinegar goes a long way. I make a vinegar dressing for use after the butt's done. (any Jamison or Raichlen recipe will do). I don't mop or nothing. I just coat the thing with whatever dry rub strikes me. [p]When I serve the pork, I get potato rolls (sort of a super-version of wonder bread), pile the pork on the roll. Douse (or sprinkle) the pile with the vinegar sauce. A tablespoon of creamy cole slaw is optional. [p]This conversation has not been good for my health. [p]CB
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    BluesnBBQ, but you're missing the mustard-based sauce! Where have you been? Have missed you on the forum. We now have a place here in Atlanta called 'BBQ and Blues'. The Blues are much better than the BBQ there.

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Skwerl X,[p]Injecting with a NC style vinegar sauce will help you get what you're looking for but if you were in Eastern NC and ordered a plate of bbq (and when you say 'bbq' in that neck of the woods it only means slow cooked, hickory smoked, chopped pork) they will give you the vinegar based sauce on the side to sprinkle on to your own taste. Rarely, if ever, will the pork be pre-sauced. I pull, chop, put it on my plate, sprinkle with sauce and eat... a couple of hushpuppies, coleslaw and sweet iced tea don't hurt neither. [p]If you do want to inject the butt, Elder Ward has a good recipe for the vinegar based sauce in the recipe section.[p]What's this about waiting months to cook a butt? I think you will be surprised at how easy a butt is to cook. If the idea of an overnighter seems daunting then start with a smaller cut, 4-6 lbs, throw it on early in the morning, say 5am, and pull it off that evening. That way you would get to see how the egg breathes and does it's thang. There are plenty of folks here who will help you walk you through it. Aint no biggie so get on it![p]WD

• WooDoggies, thanks. It took me three rib cooks to get up the nerve to do the mustard thing, now my family (and many of my nieghbors) won't do it any other way.[p]I've read Elder Ward's piece many times; I guess his is the way to go.[p]Thanks again!

• Skwerl X,[p]I am relatively new to the BGE as well and have now done 3 Boston Butts at around 210. It did take me awhile, ~18 hrs for the last one, but boy was it worth it. I have not done the vinegar thing yet but did smother with mustard and a great rub (overnight in the fridge before the cook) and had many a folk drooling. In fact, for the last one they decending so quickly, I only ate a few scraps which is high praise and means I get to do it again.[p]The temp held all night ( I did get up once to check) and it was great. Two days ago I did my first briskett, for 15 hrs, and it was marvelous. The leftovers aren't bad either! As you have read, don't be afraid, jump right in and have fun.
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Skwerl X,
    As a foundation, yes. Stick to Elder's way. As with all recipes I try. I follow them to a tee. That way I can tell is it's good or not because I did not screw anything up. I adjust from there.
    good luck

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    WooDoggies,
    I agree with using a smaller butt and a day time cook. I have 3 that way and all came out fine. I think it's a good way to start and allows one have fun checking the egg and drinking a brew or two. I hope he gives it a try sooner then later.
    Happy Egg-n,
    New Bob

• Wardster,[p]Please point me to Elders' way to do a pork butt?[p]thx[p]bob

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    BluesnBBQ, but you're missing the mustard-based sauce!

I've tried it, but I prefer a vinegar-based sauce. I think
    a thin sauce like that is absorbed well by the pulled pork.[p]Where have you been? Have missed you on the forum. [p] I've been lurking a lot lately, but I haven't had much to post about lately. [p]We now have a place here in Atlanta called 'BBQ and Blues'. The Blues are much better than the BBQ there.

I thought you could get good barbecue in Georgia![p]

• BluesnBBQ, go check out "The Georgia Pig". It's off of I-95 somewhere around Brunswick, Ga.[p]A real shack in the truest sense of the word and the best pig you'll ever get from over the counter.

• Freak
    Freak Posts: 79

Do the butt - It was the first thing I tried when I got mine back in June. It is the only way to go.