Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Filet Mignon just ok

Options
Marvelous
Marvelous Posts: 70
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am getting ready for a dinner party next week and I thought I should do a practice run. I started the fire did not fill up to the line but I got to 600 anyway within 40 minutes. steaks were center cut filet mignon 2 inhes thick and I used the tex method after flipping the second side i saw my char marks were not bold rested the steak put it back about 12 minutes did 2 min each side at 450 got to 130. Did I make the mistake not filling up to the fire line. also 30 minutes AFTER THE COOK MY COALS were glowing. I intend to do another practice run tomorrow. Another thing the steak was not real hot inside I would appreciate help thanks Marvelous

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    You will get the hang of it...you can also try the less popular cast iron skillet or grate mentioned in the TRex write-up. I have excellent results with it too, especially with a fillet.

DSC04863s.jpg

DSC04859s.jpg

DSC04878s.jpg

a28000c5.gif
    Have a Happy July 4th
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • DynaGreaseball
    DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
    Options
    The amount or heighth of your coals is not a function of temperature. It only determines how long your fire will last. You'll see folks posting about filling up with lump, just below the fire ring top edge. That's when they're going to cook a low and s-l-o-w...like 18 hours.

In my humble opinion. 600* is plenty hot for searing beef. I usually do it at 650*. I don't have one, but a cast iron grate really produces great looking char-marks.

Keep cookin'. You'll do great at your party.
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Personally, I did not get grate grill marks until I got my CI (Cast Iron).

When TRexing on the porcelain, I kept having to increase my amount of time for a sear.

When I used my CI, I threw my steaks on and the EGG started blowing out tons of smoke. I had to close the door to the house. Amazing difference.

Greg
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I love filet on the egg but like others, I found I couldn't get nice sear marks until I used cast iron. I haven't gotten the Egg cast iron yet but use this case iron piece that I got at Lowes for about $12 (it fits across a large egg perfectly)
    100_8628Medium.jpg

and got sears like this
    100_8625Medium.jpg

I do mine at 500-600 so your temp didn't sound like the problem. I do mine 2 minutes, flip, 2 minutes flip, and then about 1 minute more on each side. That usually gets mine to 120 to 125 internal then I let it rest.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Here is a filet with decent grill marks and no CI.
    Try throwing a few Jack Daniels chips in.

beef1-1.jpg

Mike
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    I would try the hottub method. Pre cook your steaks to 120deg in a sealed zip top bag. By placing them in a pot of hot water for at least an hour. Change water as necessary to maintain 120. When you have them in for a half hour then fire up the egg. Crank that sucker up to 600+ deg and then sear them until the outside looks the way you want it. Should take about 5-10 minutes and then rest and serve.
  • Marvelous
    Options
    I forgot to mention i am using CI
  • snoqualmiesmoker
    Options
    thirdeye wrote:
    You will get the hang of it...you can also try the less popular cast iron skillet or grate mentioned in the TRex write-up. I have excellent results with it too, especially with a fillet.

DSC04863s.jpg

DSC04859s.jpg

DSC04878s.jpg

a28000c5.gif
    Have a Happy July 4th

I hope that isn't a Teflon griddle you are cooking on?
    steaks looked great!
  • thirdeye
    Options
    DSC04869s.jpg

Yeah, like I really dig those fumes that come off the Teflon.... :evil:

Seriously, it's cast iron but has that new factory seasoning. The flip side has the raised ribs.

DSC04734a.jpg

DSC04730a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Marvelous
    Options
    Thank you where can I get this skillit and how would I use tyhis with my place setter or do I need another attachement thanks
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    D@mn, when I get my EGG and therefore, my CI up to 600, the steaks start smoking/sizzling as soon as they hit the grid.

The smoke/sizzle creates the good sear for me.

Are you sure that something is not defective?

Do you have pics??

Greg
  • Marvelous
    Options
    I might not have gotten my CI grid hot enough steak was great but good sear on one side the other was very sittle sear trhanks. I tested my egg after I could get 700 on the maining coals if I wanted to
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Hmm...when I did these steaks, the dome was reading 600° but if you look at the CI grate I borrowed from my SBGE and put in the spider, it's probably a lot hotter than 600° down there:

IMG_1406.jpg

Granted, these are not filets, but this pic shows some filets being cooked on a porcelain grate with nice marks:

IMG_9280.jpg

I only ever shoot for 600° dome to do a nice sear, because anything higher than that does a number on my seasonings, especially with the CI grates. Perhaps you can go with a thinner cut if you want yours done a bit more inside...2" is a nice cut, though!
  • thirdeye
    Options
    lodgegriddleLSRG3.jpg

The griddle is made by Lodge and appears that the model is LSRG3. It's 10-1/2" square.

The suppport it's sitting on is called a "spider" and can be found http://www.eggaccessories.com/
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~