Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Butt w/ no plate setter.....

BravoBBQBravoBBQ Posts: 13
edited 6:24AM in EggHead Forum
As an egg newbie, I've been having a great time for the past few months w/ my new toy (large BGE). Ready to try a pork butt tomorrow. Went to local supplier, out of plate setters, more on order.

So, what do you recommend for getting indirect heat w/o a plate setter? I have a v rack.

Thanks for any suggestions,
BravoBBQ, Seattle
·

Comments

• You could put a grate down low, fire bricks on top of that then a drip pan.I did that before I got a plate setter. But i'd reserve one of those setters that are on order. Happy 4th
    ·
  • SWOkla-JerrySWOkla-Jerry Posts: 638
    Just set the V-rack in an Aluminum pan, that will act as indirect barrior.
    ·
  • JeevesJeeves Posts: 461
    If you don't have firebricks - you need some insulator - maybe a pizza stone?

In addition to the aluminum pan, I would put something in it - water with maybe a can of dr pepper or coca cola... sounds strange, but you'll hear about the dr pepper coca cola in the near future.

-jeeves
    ·
  • If you use a pan with liquid in it, be careful when opening the egg. Others have been blasted with steam when opening the lid.
    ·
  • BravoBBQBravoBBQ Posts: 13
    Thanks to all for the advice. Butt is in over an hour now. Used a grill extender down in the charcoal w/ water pan on it, all below the grill. V rack holding the butt. Looks a-ok, will know in 9 hours or so!

Cheers
    ·
    Thanks to all for the advice. Butt is in over an hour now. Used a grill extender down in the charcoal w/ water pan on it, all below the grill. V rack holding the butt. Looks a-ok, will know in 9 hours or so!

Cheers
    ·

Cheers
    ·