Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt w/ no plate setter.....

Options
BravoBBQ
BravoBBQ Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As an egg newbie, I've been having a great time for the past few months w/ my new toy (large BGE). Ready to try a pork butt tomorrow. Went to local supplier, out of plate setters, more on order.

So, what do you recommend for getting indirect heat w/o a plate setter? I have a v rack.

Thanks for any suggestions,
BravoBBQ, Seattle

Comments

• Sun Devil Brett
    Options
    You could put a grate down low, fire bricks on top of that then a drip pan.I did that before I got a plate setter. But i'd reserve one of those setters that are on order. Happy 4th
  • SWOkla-Jerry
    SWOkla-Jerry Posts: 640
    Options
    Just set the V-rack in an Aluminum pan, that will act as indirect barrior.
  • Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    Options
    If you don't have firebricks - you need some insulator - maybe a pizza stone?

In addition to the aluminum pan, I would put something in it - water with maybe a can of dr pepper or coca cola... sounds strange, but you'll hear about the dr pepper coca cola in the near future.

-jeeves
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    If you use a pan with liquid in it, be careful when opening the egg. Others have been blasted with steam when opening the lid.
  • BravoBBQ
    Options
    Thanks to all for the advice. Butt is in over an hour now. Used a grill extender down in the charcoal w/ water pan on it, all below the grill. V rack holding the butt. Looks a-ok, will know in 9 hours or so!

Cheers
  • BravoBBQ
    Options
    Thanks to all for the advice. Butt is in over an hour now. Used a grill extender down in the charcoal w/ water pan on it, all below the grill. V rack holding the butt. Looks a-ok, will know in 9 hours or so!

Cheers
  • BravoBBQ
    Options

Cheers