Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I need an Expert, and fast!

hdrider
hdrider Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Eggheads, I got a party to go to in three hours and my butts ain't done yet. I put two butts (7lb and 8lb) on at 11pm last night. I got a digital probe in the 8 and it hit 149 about 3 this am. Temp is sitting at 151 since about 0800. I have not opened the egg and it is running a steady 250-260. Is this normal and will they be ready by 3ish today? Please give me some advise. I have been bragging about my new LBGE and I got about 15 people to feed.

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Not an expert, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express the night before last.

You are in the plateau. You can speed up things and it should still work out. Crank up the dome temp to 275-300.
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    I am no expert, but try double wrapping it in foil and bump up the temp to 300 -350. Oh, you may want to add just a little apple juice or coke and a little more rub before closing up the foil.

You should be fine B)
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    You might want to pull the digital out of the butt and lay it out to check the dome temp against the BGE thermometer. If you are not reading 250, bump the temp until you do. I put 4 butts on last night at 8 and took one off this morning at 7 and the others will come off in about an hour. -RP
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    I, personally, consider both Mike and Smokey as Experts.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Smokey, I'm with you on re-seasoning and foiling with some apple juice. But time is short here, I would put them into a 350° oven and hope for the best.

hdrider, worst case, sliced barbecued pork is really good. If you are only doing sandwiches, you can slice and then chop it. It's one of my favorite ways to serve it.

a28000c5.gif
    Have a Happy July 4th
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Susan Egglaine
    Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
    RP, how many people are you feeding?
  • hdrider
    You guys are awesome! I'm going with the foil idea and bumping to 350. Thanks much. Is it possible that if it gets to 200 that I can still pull it or am I going to have to settle with chopping?
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    I have pulled anywhere from 190 to 205 internal. 205 is less moist but allows of more sauce.

It's all good..... :woohoo:
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Should be about 30. -RP
  • hdrider
    Thanks again to all you eggsperts that gave me some advise. I warmed up some coca-cola and added some butt rub to it, poured on both and shaked a little more dry butt rub on all sides. They are foiled and the grill is at 350. I'll let everyone know how they turn out. I did take some photos before foiling and they sure are pretty :) I'll post photos once I figure out how to do that, after all I'm still just a baby among you giants (man I suck up good).

Happy 4th to you all!
  • Why the Oven?

Won't your egg go to 350?

Most eggs will.

Ben
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Why the Oven?

Won't your egg go to 350?

Most eggs will.

Oh sure it will, but hdrider has already gotten a 12 hour burn on the lump, and he was leaving in 3 hours. An oven will be up to 350° temp in 5 minutes and will run at a constant temperature..... Since the butts are foiled, heat is heat. They don't know the difference.

The oven can be a real lifesaver in situations like this, or when doing 3-1-1 ribs and you want to cook something else on the Egg during that foil hour, and especially if your fire goes out, moving your food to the oven while you re-start and stabilize the fire, or in the most common instance ..... say you run out of lump but only have an hour or two left on a cook.

a28000c5.gif
    Have a Happy July 4th
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery