Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking Paella

Gene
Gene Posts: 99
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi forum. I just sent a question on cooking pizzas on the egg and thought it better to separate my questions. So here is my second e-mail. I just puchased my egg yesterday and have had two successes (chicken yesterday and steak today.) I love making Paella and have had great success on a Weber grill with charcol. I am guessing I will have similar success with the BGE, but thought I would aske. One thing I am concerned about is that my paella pan is about 18" in diameter with handles that extend horizontally outward from the pan. The hanles of the pan would rest on the rim of the egg and the pan (which is shallow) would not touch the grill but be suspended about an inch above the grill. [p]Has anyone had an experience with this and care to comment?[p]Thanks,[p]Gene

Comments

• Gene,
    I would not say it cannot be done, but would be extremely difficult given the nature of the paella pan and the limited area in the Egg.

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Gene:[p]It is a matter of good fire control and pan size to fit your cooker. There are folks with other ceramic cookers that make paella frequently with excellent results. If your current pan does not fit, consider a smaller size that does.
    [/b]
  • djm5x9,
    Darryl, I've seen references to making paella on ceramic cookers before. Is the reason for doing it to get smoke flavor? Otherwise, why not make it in your kitchen?[p]Thanks!
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • djm5x9
    Whiz:[p]The only reason I see would be to indeed add some smoke to the food. Other than that the cooker is just a heat source and it should be just as easy to cook on the large eye of a gas cooktop.[p]Having said that, I do notice that I get better performance (better overall pan heating and cooking) with my cast iron when cooking in the oven as opposed to the gas cooktop. It is like cooking with charcoal on the top as well as the bottom without the mess. Compaired to the oven I find that the ceramic cooker is easier to cook on considering the size of the Dutch ovens I typically use. So it could be that this is the reason the individual that cooks paella on a ceramic cooker chooses to do so - even pan heating and cooking from all sides.
  • The Naked Whiz,
    In Spain, paella is traditionaly cooked over an open wood flame.
    Doc Pigg

• Clarky
    Clarky Posts: 16
    The Naked Whiz,
    Because EVERYTHING tastes better from an EGG.

• Gene,[p]Do you have a recipe for paella you could share?[p]Thanks,[p]Steve R.
    Lexington, KY

• Gene
    Gene Posts: 99
    Steve R., I have a great recipe (at least I think it is.) I got it from a store called the Spanish Table here in Seattle. It's a bit to long to type though. I checked the stores web-site and alas it's not posted there. If faxing is an option I could do that. If not, I will try to get it scanned and then do a cut/paste job. Give me a few days.[p]Gene[p]
  • Gene,[p]
    Sounds great![p]Thanks.[p]Steve R.[p]Lexington, KY

• djm5x9
    Gene:[p]Here are a few more for you . . .

[/b]