Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hung Stoker Problem.

Options
Ollie
Ollie Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello,

Having a little issue with my Stoker. Wondering if anyone can offer any guidance. I am trying to use it today. I am also assuming that Rock is prob not in "the office" today. But I will try a little later.

Basically, once I turn on the Stoker the LCD leaves the "test" screen but the blower never tuns off. It is not seeing any of the probes or the blower. While all of my buttons are functional and I can navigate menus it will not save any settings (i.e. - change units from Far to cels.).

Comments

• Smokin-AJ's
    Options
    I have a stoker and it has worked perfectly thus far. From what you said in your post, you may have a bad unit. I would call John on Monday. Great customer service. He will take care of you!
  • Ollie
    Options
    I would agree there is a defect. I would guess it is actually a software glitch. I might try a firmware update as I am already screwed.

I love the thing. Performed flawlessly on its maiden voyage.

I have already gone manual on the BGE just trying to get some answers.

THX
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Can you access it from the IP address on the computer? If not, I'd try the firmware upload,..if, it won't mess up your warranty.

Side note, my blower always stays on while I program the Stoker because my indoor house temp is always lower than the set temp.
  • UnConundrum
    UnConundrum Posts: 536
    Options
    Before you re-flash, have you tried just one probe at a time. I'd think it's possible that the chip on one of the probes is bad (You understand that each probe has it's own chip, right?).

BTW, we're working on new, platform independent software for the stoker... We are not affiliated with Rocks, just playing with the software... You can find our demo site at stoker.unconundrum.com If you know Ruby on Rails, there are links there to the code if you want to download it.
  • BamaEGG
    BamaEGG Posts: 170
    Options
    Mine has hung on one occasion. Try to select the blower temp and scroll through your menu till you see blower then select it. It seemed like with mine that maybe reset the blower. I lost a huge brisket because mine got hung one night.

But it has worked flawlessly since and I got 4 racks of spares on right now.
  • Ollie
    Options
    Thanks for all of the feedback.

1. Yes, It aquires an IP and I can get to the page via my pc. Just no blowers/ temp probes show up.

2. I have 3 food probes + 1 pit probe. I have tried multiple combinations of probes / blower and all the stoker comes up with is "None". I get nothing in the PC screen even when the blower is hooked up and functional.

3. Cannot get to any blower or Probe setup screens.

I am going to try the firmware update.

-Ollie
  • Ollie
    Options
    Interesting.

With the blower disconnected I can access the probes, set alarms and such.

Blower connected: nothing. Does not recognize blower or probes. Looks like I might just have a blower issue.
  • Ollie
    Options
    Firmware re-install seems to have fixed the problem. As it is the same version of software + the update wipes out the database on the stoker I am going to assume I had some corrupted data.

Hopefully this does not pop-up when I am trackside miles away from a computer.

-O
  • UnConundrum
    Options
    :) Glad it worked out for you.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    link says page doesn't exist.

GG
  • UnConundrum
    Options
    Sorry, it pointed to a cook that I deleted. My bad. I've fixed the link... or you can click HERE to see completed cooks. Feel free to browse the site.