Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2 grills for indirect?

Options
Joel Ferman
Joel Ferman Posts: 243
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I notice on some of you guys' pages it looks as if you have a grill resting on the top of the firebox for indirect cooking, so you are able to place firebricks and such on it. If so, where can you buy them, and what size would I need for a medium? (egg comes tomorrow and I want to be prepared for it)
-Joel

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Joel Ferman, the firebrick are what they call 'half-size'. The are approximately 1"x4"x9". You can find them at many building supply companies although I have not been able to find them at Home Depot or Lowe's around Atlanta. They will run you about a $1.00 each and I suggest getting mor ethan you think you will ever need. I have six and wish I had a few more.

• Joel Ferman
    Options
    Wise One,
    thanks for that tip, but I was also referring to the size of the second grill for the top of the firebox if needed.

• Joel Ferman, you can get an 18" grill form Home Depot or Lowes. That will fit the large.[p]Another must have is the grill extender from BGE which is essentially a smaller grill with legs that attaches to the main grill. It allows you to put a drip pan underneath, or just stuff more food on your egg.[p]I use the extender for ribs on indirect cooks and also for The Naked Whiz's spatchcock chicken which is direct but the extender keeps the bird up away from the flame, preventing flare ups.[p]Hope this helps.

• Joel Ferman
    Options
    Skwerl X,
    Where can I get one for the medium? What size would I need? Could I use a 15 inch, or would that be too big?
    -Joel

• Wise One
    Options
    Joel Ferman, I bought a grill extender (a second grill with legs) for my medium from BGE. For the large and mini, I just bought a second grill. I use the firebricks or the pan to keep the second grill above the first.

• Big Ed
    Big Ed Posts: 23
    Options
    Wise One,[p]I got the grill extender a few weeks ago when I was in Atlanta. They told me it would work on the Med. It does except when I use the plate holder with regular grill then extender on top, I can't close the lid.[p]Suggestions?
  • Joel Ferman,
    Just measure from side to side at the top of the fire box, and set out to find a round grill about that size. I think you will find what you are looking for at Home Depot. Get the grill extender from BGE too. It is a great tool.
    Seth

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Joel Ferman,[p]If you wanted to make a 2nd 'raised' grid, use another 15" grate like the one that will come with your medium egg. You can order it from BGE or maybe find one at a bbq supply.
    The ideal level for the 2nd grate on my large (as endorsed by YB, Nature Boy, Spin...) is just below the bottom lip, about 1/4-1/2". I used four, 4" stainless steel bolts, washers and nuts to make the legs. The legs rest on the fire ring creating the 2nd level.
    On my large, I can attach the bge grill extender to the 2nd and get three levels. On this 3rd level you are cooking well into the dome (as endorsed by djm5x9) and taking full advantage of the efficient convective, reflective, radiant..... properties of the domed ceramic cooker.
    I don't know if the bge grill extender will fit in your medium. Maybe someone here can help you with dat.[p]Good luck and let us know how it goes.[p]WD

• Wise One
    Options
    Big Ed, my only suggestion would be to pick up a smaller extra weber grill and then use 4 stainless steel 1/4" bolts to form legs so you can just place it on top. You will have a problem with the extender if it is too high