Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

searing problems

BokehBokeh Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello; I haven't posted here before but I need some help. I've been reading through the forum but still am having problems:

I've learned how to keep my egg below 250, and have made some tasty pulled pork. But my problem is going the other direction:

My egg is temperamental. I've gotten the temp up around 625ºF a few times, but mostly it stubbornly refuses to go above about 400º. And that's simply no good for a decent sear. I've been playing with the top and bottom vents to death... still won't get that hot most of the time. I've cleaned out the ash, and I can get the coals to glow a nice bright orange throughout the firebox. Is there such thing as a "dud" bag of charcoal? Can it glow orange and still not put out that much heat? And I know it's not my thermometer because i've checked it with a second thermometer, and the water-drop method, and by holding my hand over the grate. Hot, not searing.

someone talk me through this? :blink:

Comments