Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Saturday Lunch - Apple City Baby Backs

Options
QBabe
QBabe Posts: 2,275
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
apple-city-b-backs.jpg
<p />Recipe came from "Smoke and Spice" cookbook...MMMmmmmm![p]

Comments

• QBabe
    Options
    OOooops...not enough coffee yet this am. That should have said Sat Dinner...not lunch.
  • Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    QBabe,in the big picture, does it REALLY matter if it was lunch OR supper??????? LOL[p]I can`t believe you corrected that and posted it.....I think you need another cooker to occupy your time..LOL[p]Mop
    [/b]
  • QBabe
    Options
    Mop,[p]Yep, I'd agree with that...need a small for camping (and for doing garlic bread to go with the dinner that's on the large one, or even dessert. Now, there's a place I haven't gone, yet! [p]QBabe
    :-)

• Mop
    Options
    QBabe, dessert can certainly be done on the cooker, Earl has made some pineapple upside down cake that was really really good, I was suprised, he made it up at one of the comps and we ate it up like free money....it was some good stuff..[p]Mop
    [/b]
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Mop,
    When you mentioned "Pineapple Upside Down Cake" you got my attention. My wife's family has a tradition of making Pineapple Upside Down Cake whenever there is a reason for celebration. The funny thing is the genuine interest it generates among all the guests. Everyone eventually finds themselves in the kitchen watching the two sisters create this wonderful masterpiece. They laugh and carry on like there's no tomorrow. It is by far the most enjoyable moment of any family get-together.[p]Meanwhile, Blue Bell Creameries, makers of some of the finest ice cream in the world and major contributor to some of my excessive weight, has come up with a Pineapple Upside Down Cake flavor and it is absolutely wonderful. I'm on a diet but I can't resist the temptation to suck down a bowl of it after dinner. Normally, I'm a plain vanilla person but I have made an exception to this flavor. I hope they make it one of their permanent flavors.[p]If you are fortunate enough to live in Texas, try the Blue Bell ice cream. If not, find a good recipe for pineapple upside down cake and you will be the hit of the party.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• QBabe
    Options
    Mop,[p]Do you suppose we could convince Earl to share his recipe? No family secrets, mind you...I wouldn't want to be the cause any problems with relatives or in-laws. [p]QBabe

• Kelly Keefe
    Options
    QBabe,
    Those look awesome and I imagine they tasted the same way. So awesome in fact that when I managed to stop drooling I ran up to the kitchen and looked up the recipe. Did you go the whole 9 yards with the marinade, mop sauce and finishing sauce?? Inquiring minds want to know -- grin![p]Kelly
    Jefferson City, MO

• Mop
    Options
    QBabe,
    Oh, I`m sure he will come out and post it, just ask him.[p]Mop
    [/b]
  • QBabe
    Options
    Kelly Keefe,[p]No, just the soak, then the rub, no mop (there's a section called "To Mop or Not"...seemed for ceramics it was better not to mop, but just my interpretation, then did finishing sauce...[p]I did them on a raised grid with a drip pan underneath and mine weren't done in the 3 hrs the recipe called for. Put them back on for another 30-45 minutes direct and basted with the finishing sauce them about every 15 minutes, then served them....[p]Also, my finishing sauce didn't thicken much...it reduced, and the flavors got more intense, but just wasn't as thick as many BBQ sauces. Not necessarily bad, just different than expected. I thought it might be nice to add some minced Granny Smith (or other tart) apple to the sauce ingredients (sauteed along with the butter and onion) next time I did them.[p]Have fun! I sure did![p]QBabe

• sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Options
    Mop,[p]Didn't that cake have a strong smoke flavor to it? Knowing your aversion to smoked breads, I can't imagine you liking this...[p]Sounds very good to me, however.[p]--sdb
  • Kelly Keefe
    Options
    QBabe,[p]I saw the "To mop or Not" part. I've mopped in the past and haven't noticed much difference, except with chicken.[p]Appreciate the input. I'll do mine over a plate setter and drip pan. My experience with BB ribs is 3 hours at 225-250° is about right to get them done. Might just have to try adding some minced Granny Smiths to the sauce as suggested.[p]Thanks![p]Kelly
  • Mop
    Options
    sdbelt, nope, no smoke flavor to it.
    [/b]
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    b2stone.jpg
    <p />sdbelt:[p]No smoke if you preheat, use fresh lump, don't cook after direct rib, butt, or other fatty direct cooks.
  • Mop
    Options
    djm5x9,Yeah, thats what i told him
    [/b]