Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

searing problems

Options
Bokeh
Bokeh Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello; I haven't posted here before but I need some help. I've been reading through the forum but still am having problems:

I've learned how to keep my egg below 250, and have made some tasty pulled pork. But my problem is going the other direction:

My egg is temperamental. I've gotten the temp up around 625ºF a few times, but mostly it stubbornly refuses to go above about 400º. And that's simply no good for a decent sear. I've been playing with the top and bottom vents to death... still won't get that hot most of the time. I've cleaned out the ash, and I can get the coals to glow a nice bright orange throughout the firebox. Is there such thing as a "dud" bag of charcoal? Can it glow orange and still not put out that much heat? And I know it's not my thermometer because i've checked it with a second thermometer, and the water-drop method, and by holding my hand over the grate. Hot, not searing.

someone talk me through this? :blink:

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Make sure the large opening in the Firebox is aligned with the bottom vent.

Use a wiggle stick to make sure the holes in the fire grate are clear of small pieces of lump

Keep the DFMT off the dome.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    I don't think you're putting enough lump in. Leave the top open and get a good fire going, then play with the vents. If you are closing the top to quick, it is going to be hard to get it up to 600+ for awhile.
    Don't confuse the flame temp with the fire temp.

Mike
  • Bokeh
    Options
    sorry for my ignorance, but what is DFMT again?
    The firebox opening is aligned with the draft door.... I will try poking the holes in the firebox to make sure I am getting enough air-flow tomorrow before I re-light it.
  • Bokeh
    Options
    when you say leave the top open, do you mean that I should have the lid completely open, or the lid down with the daisy-wheel completely open?
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Leave the dome open. Depending on how you lite your fire. It is going to take a good 15-20 minutes for good clean burning fire.
    The biggest problem is people shut the lid after lighting, either with a cube or torch. They see a fire. As soon as you close the dome you restrict air flow. Thus losing temp.

Mike
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Dual Function Metal Top.

Also as Mike said fill the Firebox up at least to the level of the fire ring.
  • Crash
    Crash Posts: 32
    Options
    I have also found stirring the coals after some are lit spreads the fire faster and accelerates the process.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    when you cleaned out the ash did you remove the firebox?? if not that is a likely cause of your problem.
    there is a channel or raceway around the base of the firebox and the iniside wall of the egg that provides air to the holes in the firebox over time ash and little lumps fall thru the firebox holes and blocks airflow to them completely. i now run the small shop vac hose thru the raceway regularly instead of removing the cracked fire box but regardless this area needs to be cleaned regularly
    bill
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    >>>I should have posted this in reply to Bokeh's original post
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante