Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: What type of HDTV do you have?

AlwaysGolf
AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wife wants to redo the living room and she has always hated our projection tv. We have had it about 5 years along with the entertainment center that makes it look kind of built in. Her redo means I get to pick out a new tv within reason. I am leaning towards a Sharp Aquos flat panel 1080p. Circuit City has it on sale for $1699 good only until Saturday. ONly downside is that it is not 120hz refresh rate and I doubt if I could ever tell the difference. The kicker is that for the price of a tv with the 120hz refresh rate I could pick up the above mentioned Sharp 52 inch and a 720p Sharp Aquos 42in for about the same price (smaller one would go in the bedroom).

Sold the entertainment center and wifeys friend is supposed to buy the old tv.

Just curious what everyone else has and if anyone has a Aquos what do they like or dislike about it.

Comments

• Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Sorry -- I have a small cheap-o [$300] that sits nearly at ceiling height, and I can sit in my Relax-the-Back recliner, watch TV and fall asleep.

I wouldn't know what to do with a big-un!

~ B
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    After looking at a bunch of them we settled on a 37" Vizio LCD. @ $599.00 Wife is happy. nuff' said.
  • Big Easy Egg
    Big Easy Egg Posts: 191
    I have a Hitachi 52" that had 2' of water in it from Hurricane Katrina. Funny thing about it is we lost everthing in the flood and had totally gutted the house and it ended up in the back yard. One day we saw the power company working on power lines down the block and decided to plug it into and extension cord.This was about four weeks after the storm and Zanadu it came on, it was the biggest laugh we had in quite sometime. Anyway it is still working today. Don't know if that qualifies as a testimonial or not.

Jimmy
    Come visit NOLA
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    AG,

I've got a Mitsubishi projection, and a Samsung DLP. Just waiting for the Mitsu to kick the bucket, then I'll start looking at some thinner screens. I really like A/V equipment, because it doesn't get obsolete as quickly as computer stuff does. My receivers are still Dolby Digital 5.1/DTS :)

My buddies from work like the Sharp LCDs like you were researching, though, and I will probably go with that brand if I don't get another DLP. I really like DLP...

Have you considered a projector?
  • WMK
    WMK Posts: 1,747
    AlwaysGolf,

Last year, about this time, I did a bunch of research on this subject because my old projection TV (about 12 years old) was starting to fail (just shut off all of a sudden). Besides, the picture had pretty much s****ed for several years.

I found that the "best" choice depends on your needs.

It used to be simple to buy a TV. About the only question was, "how big". But these days, there are a number of competing issues to consider.

First, there's the LCD or Plasma question. LCD systems tend to be a bit less expensive, but they don't perform as well in some ways, and, a bit better in others. E.g. LCDs don't do as well viewing "off axis", but they do a bit better viewing in well lit areas (e.g. daylight viewing in a room with lots of windows). Plasmas tend to be better off axis (especially the Pioneers, which is what I have in my LR, which look good all the way to 179.9 degrees).

Plasma's also tend to have a bit better color depth because each "pixel" can be any color -- LCD's still use the three dots, red/green/blue, very close together strategy to make color. Plasmas also tend to have a bit better "black levels" which affects the overall clarity and contrast of the image. Plasmas also still have a "burn in" issue, especially the less expensive models. But this is not nearly so bad as it was when they were new technology.

-- If your viewing area is well lit, the an LCD is probably the best choice (unless you can close the blinds when watching during the day).

-- If your viewing is "off axis", i.e. not all seats in your room are directly in front of the TV, then a Plasma would be a better choice.

-- If you want to play games, then an LCD is a better choice (because games often have static images, like scores, that might "burn in" a Plasma screen).

-- If you are particular about right colors and the deepest possible black levels, then a Plasma is probably the best choice.

Even a year ago, these differences were sometimes hard to perceive; so, now the two technologies are probably even closer to six of one, half dozen of the other. LCDs are a getting better off-axis, and Plasmas have much less problems with burn-in than the early models (I've not noticed it at all on my Pioneer).

I have a Panasonic plasma in BR, much cheaper than the Pioneer, but not nearly the same quality either -- but just fine for falling asleep while watching :).

Lastly, there's the resolution question: 1080p or 1080i/720p. As of a year ago, the only 1080p sources available were HDDVD players (e.g. BlueRay) and some video games. HDTV (like DirecTV and I think cable is the same) doesn't provide 1080p resolution and isn't likely to in the near future (at least I don't think so -- because of the bandwidth required). So, unless you have, or intend to acquire, a BlueRay movie collection, or want to play the latest X-Box games in "full HD", you won't get much opportunity to see 1080p pictures, even if your new TV can do it. Since I pretty much watch DirecTV, I decided to go with the less expensive 1080i/720p models -- but that depends on your requirements.

Like I said, it used to be simple to buy a TV....
  • Big Easy Egg
    Big Easy Egg Posts: 191
    You have to be a Phi Beta Kappa from MIT to buy a TV.
  • WMK
    Big Easy Egg,

That's about the way I felt. I went to the store first, and found that I knew nothing about all this 1080p and other stuff. Then bought several magazines and spent some time reading them and other stuff on the web. It's just crazy how many choices there are these days.

I didn't even mention the "DLP" option because it isn't really "flat". But DLP is the least expensive of all. You can get a "gigantic" DLP/1080p set for half the price of smaller Plasma or LCD. But the picture really isn't as good -- it just depends on individual requirements and taste.

It used to be so simple...
  • Sharp makes a decent TV, consumer reports didn't rate them too high however based on price and picture quality.

I just recently purchased a Samsung 40" lcd 1080p and 120mhz rate. I also have a 26" Samsung lcd 720p 60mhz rate. I chose lcd for lighter weight and non-glare due to not having a glass screen. Most newer LCD's have improved viewing angles and deeper blacks that rival plasma TV's and their image processors and getting better all the time.

I would suggest if you are getting a 40" or larger, go for 1080p and 120mhz, looks great with blu-ray, xbox 360, or even upconverting HDMI dvd players. Even improves sports alot (even on broadcast 1080i and 720p). If you get smaller than a 40" 720p and a slower mhz is fine.

Even though I like Samsung, other top LCD's that consumer reports and others suggest are: Sony XBR series (sometimes only have 2 hdmi ports), and Toshiba Regaza LCD's (be careful to check for 720p and 1080p as the part numbers are really close).

If you want to go plasma, Panasonic's are awesome (Adam Carolla is always praising them), Pioneer's and Samsungs (my friend just got a 50" sweet!!)

Good luck and have fun shopping, check return policies good as you can try in your home and if you don't like return and get something else.

-Dan
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    I have a 32 inch Samsung that I bought 2 years ago about a month after I got it we had a problem with the picture I called Samsung, no hassle they sent a technician out he installed a newer motherboard and said they will ship the old one back to Korea for analysis. No problems since. I have a 26 ILO that is 1080i Very Nice picture no problems except I can't find the program code for the comcast remote.
  • DynaGreaseball
    DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
    Great analysis, WMK. You've saved me a lot of work. Now I want a Pioneer Elite even more!
  • DynaGreaseball
    DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
    I have an Aquos 37". It's old, and there's no HDMI inputs to it. It has a great picture, however. It fits perfectly in this piece of furniture she wants to keep it in. I would just like to have the picture quality and brightness of plazma. Had my eye on a 42" Pioneer for a while. I guess they still make that size.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I have a Mits 65" rear projection HD, a Panasonic 42" Plasma, and a Panasonic 42" LCD.

The Panasonic Plasma has by far the best picture of the three. I have it in a room with quite a bit of natural light and the picture still pops from the screen. It is my "football and golf" Sunday afternoon TV room. Coincidentally it is also the closest room to the deck to get to the eggs.

I have a good friend with a Sharp Aquos - I believe it is 57" - and he raves about it.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Tom,

I have Time Warner cable here in Texas, but my brother-in-law's Comcast remote in Louisiana was very familiar--it seems that their box is also made by Scientific Atlanta you may be able to find the remote codes for your TV from their site...
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    I have a Pioneer Elite and love it!
    Ross
  • WMK
    Fidel,

I have both Pioneer and Panasonic plasma. The only complaint I have with the Panasonic, at least with my 40" model, is that I noticed off-axis reflections (e.g. can see double image of scrolling movie credits when viewing off-axis). To a lesser extent, the edge of anything on dark background appears blurred when viewing off axis.

For me, this doesn't actually happen in practice because it's in the bedroom; so, only when entering or leaving the room with the TV on is it noticeable. On the other hand, even when viewing straight on, the reflections that are visible off axis have to still be present and must reduce the overall image contrast and clarity, at least theoretically, but it still looks just fine to me anyway.

After noticing this, I bounced a laser pointer off the screen onto the wall or ceiling and found that it breaks up into 8-12 dots bouncing of the Panasonic. But doing the same with the Pioneer produces a crisp dot on the wall with almost no scattering at all. Of course, how well your TV reflects laser pointers is not a major criteria, but it did confirm the scattering in the Panasonic screen which I see absolutely no trace of in the Pioneer.

Like I said, in practice, I don't really notice it. I could have returned it if it had been a big deal, since I noticed it within minutes of installing it -- but I didn't.
  • McPhreak
    McPhreak Posts: 42
    50" 1080p Samsung plasma here. Love it.
  • AlwaysGolf
    AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
    I am going to go with the 52in Sharp, base exchange will match CC price plus no sales tax and they have a special on that tv this weekend, wo I also get a $300 gift card. That seals the deal. May also pick up the 42 for the bedroom they have one on closeout for $890. Sold all my old stuff deliver projection to wifey's friend tomorrow sometime.
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Sony Bravia, 40" LCD. Love it.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    I have Sony 55" 3LCD with the WEGA Engine. It's about 3 yrs old so only has one HDMI input, but I got a switcher for that and n/p..I have it serviced yearly and although it doesnt need it, I have the bulb replaced annually and the picture is brilliant...I have direct tv, playstation 3, and of course blue ray and use it for all 3 all the time..I own 300+ dvds and am an amateur movie buff, I have absolutely no problems with the 1080i v 1080p argument or the plasma v lcd argument..just get a Sony..even the repair guy that comes to service it talks about how much better a tv it is than the others he services...good luck with your search..it's a pain buying a tv anymore! :blink: :blink:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Just picked up a 50" Panasonic 1080p Plasma from Sears. $1,299. I think the deal is still available. Looked likle a pretty good deal to me anyway.

I was really concerned about the reported glare. This new model has a great anti-glare screen even in a bright sunlit room.

There is a difference in the 1080 mode verses 720 mode but I don't think after a few minutes of watching one could really tell the difference.

BlueRay, Xbox and some of the very highdef stuff is really incredible.

The set seens to adjust itself to some of the lower resolution stations.

GG