Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baking Pizza

Options
Gene
Gene Posts: 99
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello forum. I'm a new Egger. I just puchased a BGE this weekend, have used it twice and am on my way.....[p]I have a pizza question. If I purchased the Grill Extender and placed my 16" pizza stone on that would it work? I guess I am trying to avoid buying either the Plate Setter or Fire bricks. However the Grill extender looks like it might not take the weight of a stone and pizza. Your counsel would be appreciated as I explore the uses of the egg and ponder the accessories I might need. [p]I also have a question on cooking piella, but I will ask that one in a separate e-mail.[p]

Comments

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Options
    Gene,
    The grill extender would get you the height that you desire, but you would not have enough ceramic mass. You need the plate setter or some fire bricks to create a thick ceramic mass. Spend the $$, you won't be sorry.
    Chuck

• Strmn2Smoke
    Options
    Gene,
    There is not enough mass to a single pizza stone to hold the extreme heat needed for the great crusts. By all means get the plate setter as it is really versatile. As for fire bricks, go for 6 to 8, I only paid $.85ea. for mine and they have been a tremendous help...nde

• sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Options
    Gene,[p]I think some have tried to avoid the plate setter, and they seem to have mixed results. One of the important things that make a pizza cook so successful in the BGE is the ability to get the large, hot thermal mass right there under the dough. The plate setter more than doubles that mass, making cooking a tasty pizza all the more easier.[p]Fire bricks are really cheap, like a buck each, so if the cost of the plate setter is putting you off, that's the direction I'd go.[p]However, I really, really like my plate setter and use it a lot. It makes all of the indirect cooks so easy.[p]Good luck to you,[p]--sdb
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Gene,
    I echo the thoughts of the others. I opted for the plate setter when I bought my egg. When I do pizza, I've got the plate setter and 2 pizza stones. Fire bricks will be cheaper and possibly more versitle, the plate setter is easier to set up and use. For example, yesterday in doing a turkey breast, I inverted it, set the drip pan on the plate setter, then the grill. Gives a great, simple indirect cook. Not sure why you're trying to avoid buying either other than perhaps the cost. If so, fire bricks seem to be the way to go.