Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

are there any other craft beer drinkers here????

deepsouth
deepsouth Posts: 1,796
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i was just wondering if there were any eggers into craft beer?

we have one local to us in mississippi, lazy magnolia. they just started bottling the southern pecan, which is a very tasty brown ale that i'd highly recommend with a summer cookout.

my favorite styles are imperial stouts, porters, ipa's, double ipa's and barleywines.

some other craft breweries i'm quite fond of are.....

dogfish head
sweetwater
bells
three floyds
deschutes
duck rabbit
bear republic
mikkeller
rogue
samuel adams
stone

i could go on, but that's a few.

Comments

• Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    I'm in Portland OR so the answer is YES!!! Rogue and Deschutes (from your fond list) both have breweries in P-town. Most of our many, many microbrews are not widely available out of the area, but one you might be able to find that I will recommend to you is Bridgeport Brewing Bottle Conditioned IPA.
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Dogfish head 90 min ipa is one I like, also rogue and stone. Lazy magnolia is ok. Can't get higher alcohol ales here in MS. I make an occasional run to New Orleans to stock up.

Where in MS?
  • Nate in SC
    Nate in SC Posts: 21
    Yes, I'm new to the forum but I figured I would jump in here as this subject is near and dear to my heart. I am a big fan of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Some people are turned off by the strong hoppiness of it which I admit is strong for folks used to the more watered down flavored beers. However, once you get used to the flavor it is quite nice and refreshing. It can be somewhat filling over light beers (I don't drink beer based on my calorie count per day!) but it tastes great with food, especially food right off the Big Green Egg!

Nate in SC
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    For a quite anumber of years I brewed my own. I made a very good amber lager and Hefe Weizen. One of the neatest thing I did was culture up the yeast in a chimay ale bottle to make my own knock off.

Iron Horse Brewery in Lambertville NJ makes an IPA that is excellent fresh from a keg. The bottled product is just OK.

A fresh keg of Sam Adams is a work of art.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I do enjoy a premium beer or two. Sierra Nevada is indeed near the top of the list. Sweetwater is brewed here in Atlanta where I live and I do like their product. I was invited to a birthday party of the sister of one of the owners a coula years ago, at the brewery with multiple open taps. It was heavenly.
  • Roudy
    Roudy Posts: 431
    Ya got some good choices on your preferred list. I too am a fan of Bells and Stone Brewing products, and I had dinner at the Stone Brewing restaurant in Escondido CA recently.

I'm also a fan of Lagunitas Maximus IPA. :lol:

http://www.lagunitas.com/beers/maximus.html[url][/url]
  • BeerBQ
    BeerBQ Posts: 119
    I'm in Denver (Beer country). Home to the annual Great American Beer Festival. Many fine Hand-crafted beer to choose from. I have also been Homebrewing for the last 3 years. Soon to be egger. Picking up a Large BGE next week. Homebrew and BBQ. Doesn't get much better.
  • deepsouth
    bobbyb wrote:
    Dogfish head 90 min ipa is one I like, also rogue and stone. Lazy magnolia is ok. Can't get higher alcohol ales here in MS. I make an occasional run to New Orleans to stock up.

Where in MS?

biloxi.

i often drive over to covington and metairie and destin to pick up beers. the 90 minute ipa is awesome!

i also do a good bit of trading with people from all over the united states. i have a buddy in belgium that sends me westvleteren 12's and 8's and black albert (from de struise), so that is what i usually trade since we don't have any good tradable beers from around here. i usually throw the southern pecan in as an extra.
  • deepsouth
    Stanley wrote:
    I'm in Portland OR so the answer is YES!!! Rogue and Deschutes (from your fond list) both have breweries in P-town. Most of our many, many microbrews are not widely available out of the area, but one you might be able to find that I will recommend to you is Bridgeport Brewing Bottle Conditioned IPA.

portland is beervana!!!!!

the only thing i have from bridgeport is some bourbon barrel aged barleywine from 2007. i do have a few bottles i ordered from liquid solutions.
  • deepsouth
    BeerBQ wrote:
    I'm in Denver (Beer country). Home to the annual Great American Beer Festival. Many fine Hand-crafted beer to choose from. I have also been Homebrewing for the last 3 years. Soon to be egger. Picking up a Large BGE next week. Homebrew and BBQ. Doesn't get much better.

i have a very good friend/drinking buddy that also homebrews. as a matter of fact, we bottled a wine he made a year ago on sunday evening and he is going to start a mead next week as well as trying to brew a bear republic hop rod rye clone, all grain of course.

he goes to GABF every year. i wish i could, but my three year old prevents that!
  • the brewery in Lambertville is actually called River Horse, not Iron Horse. Their Triple Horse offering is phenominal. It is an amber colored beer brewed with coriander which provides a nice finish.

I haven't seen anyone mention another one of my favorites, Magic Hat from South Burlington Vermont. Number 9 is their trademark offering and is described as a "not quite pale ale". Very refreshing.

If you can find it, Cisco from Nantucket is worth trying.

Victory and Flying Dog also make some good beers.
  • Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    Yep,

I am quite familiar with these brews from your list.

dogfish head
    rogue
    sam adams
    stone

I can also add:

Ipswich ale
    Victory (hop devil or golden monkey)
    Magic Hat
    Otter Creek
    Harpoon

...I could go on but I won't!

Paul
  • deepsouth
    i had my first magic hat in august 1996, right before phish's clifford ball in plattsburg, ny.

some others.....

westvleteren
    founders
    full sail
    avery
    great divide
    kuhnhenn
    russian river
    alesmith
    flying dog
    terrapin
    st. arnold
    etc......
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Not sure if this qualifies as a craft beer, but it's what I like.

turbodog_glass.jpg

purple_haze_glass.jpg
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE? Like why use salt and pepper when you have Dizzy pig.The list will go on.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Yes.

While PBR and Yuengling are my fridge beers, I love all the different craft brews and been sampling them heavily since 1983...around the times we started having craft brews made (with love) in the USA. Right now I am drinking a Bluebird Bitter, made by the Coniston Brewing Company. An English pale ale with American Aroma Hops. Very nice.

My favorite go to craft beers (cuz they are excellent and consistent year to year...and mostly easy to find) excuse the spelling I am goin from memory....Augustinerbrau Munchin light, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Anchor Porter, Paulaner Hefeweissen, Guiness Extra Stout, Bass Ale (though it I've had some bad batches lately), Brooklyn Lager, Victory Pils.

There are so many that are even better, but harder to find, or you would never try them. This weekend a buddy came by I have not seen in 10 years. He brought 20 different brews I had never heard of. My favorite was a cask conditioned ale.

I am rambling, I know....but beer. What a great subject. FWIW I can't really drink the barleywine ales or anything where the malt flavor is too sweet and overwhelming. It has to have enough hops and crispness to balance out. Kinda like BBQ, balancing the sweetness and the spiciness. Can't wait to read what the others have said. What a great sport.

Beer, good.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • deepsouth
    tonight, my brother in law and i drank a mikkeller draft bear (yes, bear) which is an imperial pilsner. it actually said "malt liquor" on the bottle, but it was an imperial pilsner for sure. it clocked in at 8%. we then moved onto a st. bernardus 12 which is a belgian quadruple.

for dinner i had angus burgers and nathan's hot dogs cooked on the BGE. tosted the buns on there as well.

i'm probably going to finish off the night with a north coast old rasputin russian imperial stout. it's a fantastic stout that i highly recommend. much better as it warms. i'll probably drink it out of an stemless oversized wine glass.

yuengling is a great session beer. while i was down in orlando, it was my go to beer. damn tasty. what i need to find is the yuengling in cans! i hear it's much tastier than the bottled. i have to get that next time i'm in pensacola for the emerald coast beer festival.
  • deepsouth
    Mike in Abita wrote:
    Not sure if this qualifies as a craft beer, but it's what I like.

turbodog_glass.jpg

purple_haze_glass.jpg

abita is right up the street from me! i love their turbo dog and purple haze. summer favorites for sure.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Sounds like you are enjoying a nice evening with some good brews. Shweet.

Yuengling in cans really is good (but no beer has business in a green bottle anyways) and I can get cases of cans here in northern Virginny for the same price as budweiser. I'm also a big fan of their black and tan...in brown bottles...a mix of their lager and porter. If you can find their porter, it's the best available at that price.

Enjoy the rest of your evenin'.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Racer 5 by Bear Republic has been a new favorite, although it goes for $13 a 6 pack here in MA.

A buddy of mine recently put me on to beer made by Leinenkugel. They have a summer brew called 'Summer Shandy' which has been my new favorite summer beer by far.
  • Roudy
    Roudy Posts: 431
    deepsouth,

Nice collection! Given your earlier posts about your favorites, I was going to recommend the Westmalle Tripel to you; however I see a bottle of it in your photo album. I was introduced to Westmalle on a business trip to Brussels, and have loved it ever since. :P

Roudy
  • deepsouth
    Roudy wrote:
    deepsouth,

Nice collection! Given your earlier posts about your favorites, I was going to recommend the Westmalle Tripel to you; however I see a bottle of it in your photo album. I was introduced to Westmalle on a business trip to Brussels, and have loved it ever since. :P

Roudy

thanks! i just got into the trading of beer about six months ago and i've aquired the vast majority of those from beer geeks like myself from all over the states. fortunately, nearly all, save a couple bottles, is over 7% and will stand up for some time and even age like fine wines!
  • deepsouth
    @ nature boy/chris

regarding barleywines...... i think you should try some american style barleywines. they tend to be "hop bombs" like double imperial pale ales with far less of the malty sweetness of the english style barleywines, which do tend to fall on the sweet/malty side.

a good and old example of what i'm talking about is the 2007 sierra nevada bigfoot barleywine style ale, which is pretty much a hopped up dipa if you ask me.

cheers
    jason
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Decent English beer in a decent English pub!
    Last Sunday we were on our way back from a gathering (where I had som Spitfire) when my wife took a wrong turn and took us to a pub I love then suggested we dropped in for a pint since we were there.
    Now If I'd have done that .....
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Hard to beat a Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale!
  • WileECoyote
    WileECoyote Posts: 516
    Quite a collection Jason. Many which I haven't seen before. So are you going to collect them or drink them? I would have to store most of those in the refrigerator (while they lasted). Some beers do taste good at close to room temp but I prefer my beer chilled and then I let it warm up a bit in the glass as I drink. Doesn't take long on our 90-100 degree days.

I used to brew my own beer and favorites included hefeweizen, raspberry wheat, and amber honey. The best craft beer I ever tasted was at a restaurant in Jacksonville, FL near my hotel which was on the beach. They had a raspberry wheat draft which was amazing. I never did get the name of it but doubt that they sell it anywhere, ir is probably a local brew.

I don't have time to brew beer anymore but I do miss it once in a while. Retail favorites include Sam Adams, Amber Bock, and too many foreign beers to name.