Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brisket and butt together

Options
cbs
cbs Posts: 99
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm throwing an 11.5 pound butt and 10 pound brisket on the egg this afternoon. I'd like to have them finish roughly the same time. I'm thinking the butt needs to start 1-2 hours before the brisket. Is that about right? (And yes, I do realize that obsessing about the time guarantees they won't finish anywhere near each other.)

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    i would put the butt in the cooler when its done and continue with the but cook kicking dome temps up at that time. i think they will be close enough and ythe brisket likes a cooler rest of a few hours anyways
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • cbs
    cbs Posts: 99
    Options
    You mean put the brisket in the cooler while the butt finishes?

How long is it safe to keep them in a cooler? My plan is to have them finish around 8:00 so I can put them in a cooler and go to the neighborhood parade down the street, and then we can start the eating/slicing around 11:00 or so. If the brisket is done an hour or two earlier than 8:00, will it handle the cooler that long?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    it can go 4 or 5 hours in the cooler without problem, ive had one in there for 7 but that was pushing it. another alternative is to wrap in foil tightly and put it in a 200 degree oven until the butt comes out. when i cook 8 pound flats with 8 pound butts they go 12 for the brisket and 14 for the butt with my setup
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it