Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Removing rib membrane

AZRP
AZRP Posts: 10,116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Since there are a whole bunch of newbies here and many of you will be doing ribs over the holiday, I thought I'd repost my method of membrane removal. Start by working your thumb and forefinger under the membrane at the center of the rack until they touch.

IMG_0729Small.jpg
Then repeat with the other hand. Keeping your thumbs touching the forefingers, begin pulling outward.

IMG_0731Small.jpg
Then just work evenly out to the ends. For some reason this method gets the membrane off cleanly without any tearing. Have a happy 4th!!! :laugh: -RP

IMG_0732Small.jpg

Comments

• deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    thanks for posting this. i had a horrible time trying to remove it the first time and actually gave up.

the second time around i was more patient and discovered that it's not really that hard to do.
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Thanks - I'll try this. I don't usually have much of a problem with the paper towel method with spares, but baby backs can give me fits.
  • SoDakEgger
    SoDakEgger Posts: 122
    I will try that to see if it works any better than my usual method which involves the use of a pair of pliers-- and a beer.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Thanks for the tip. I will use it soon.
    I have found that it also helps to let them warm up to close to room temperature as apposed to fresh out of the fridge. Sometimes when they are extremely cold the membrance becomes brittle and tears off.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Whoa, now that's a technique I've never seen before...

a28000c5.gif
    Have a Happy July 4th
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    I don't ever remember seeing you do that. I don't start in the middle but I do normally start a couple bones in. I agree it just works better.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Hey Wayne, I didn't think there was anything you didn't know when it comes to meats. Actually I watched the meat guy in the grocery store do that to 4 racks in just a matter of seconds, figured I had to give it a try. You coming to Denver this year? -RP
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    that looks like a great idea, they do get easier the more you do them. now i would like to see a good technique for big beef ribs, those never seem to come out right
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Stop that. I'm always learning stuff.

Not sure about Denver, with the convention and all, rooms are all booked up. We do have relatives in Boulder and friends in Broomfield...

a28000c5.gif
    Have a Happy July 4th
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Fireball II
    Fireball II Posts: 213
    That technique looks a lot easier that the way I have been doing it for years. Thanks
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    and there is a place in the springs for you and wifey.
    Moolly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Very nice.

Love the pics.

Greg
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    You just taught some of us old dogs out here a new trick. Thanks and have a happy Fourth.