Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need pizza stone tips -- how to avoid hot spots?

Options
Prof Dan
Prof Dan Posts: 339
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got a pizza stone at Crate & Barrel. I put it on a couple of fire bricks, to lift it up a little. Fired up the Egg to 525 and let the stone pre-heat. Tried a "naked pizza" [just crust, no topping]. Tasted good, but there were scorched places.[p]Is there a way to ensure even heating of the stone?[p]Thanks!

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Prof Dan,[p]More ceramic mass would/could help. I use firebricks or a plate setter with a good thick stone on top. [p]BTW,
    Many reports here of thinner stones cracking under the pressure of 500+ degs. Good luck with yours.[p]Tim

• Strmn2Smoke
    Options
    Prof Dan,
    It is my experience that any pizza stone under 1/2 inch(1.25cm) is a total waste.ie. breakage, uneven heating..just useless....nde

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Prof Dan,[p]I have never used a firebrick setup to create a "hearth" in the Egg, so I won't go there. I bake my pizzas at a dome temp in the 610°F to 630°F range and the two setups that I have used that allows me to do this are:[p]1) pizza stone on top of a plate setter - total thickness of just over 1"
    2) 3 - 5/8" kiln shelves stacked on top of one another - total thickness almost 2"[p]Remember, you're trying to create a hearth which dictates a uniform thickness and mass. [p]If you are baking many pies its quite natural that the "hearth" will get hotter and hotter with each pie, subjecting the bottom of the crust to burn with each subsequent pie while the toppings meld. To reduce the risk of the bottom charring, you can cool the surface of the stone by mopping water across the surface between pie bakes.[p]There are two schools of thought on this technique - the "mopping" crowd and the "don't do it" crowd. My experience places me in the "mopping" crowd. I have yet to have a stone crack due to water and heat coming together causing a ceramic stone to break.[p]Puj

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Prof Dan,
    Was your stone as high as the opening to the egg, and did the firebricks cover the whole surface under the stone? You really need the double thickness of the stone and plate setter (or double stones) to keep from getting too hot. Also with the plate setter it lifts it to the same level as the egg opening making it easy to slide it on and get it off. One other thing, you only want to preheat your stone for about 5 minutes...that could also cause burnt spots.[p]~nikki

[ul][li]Pizza[/ul]