Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Boston (multiple) Butt Cook

Options
hdrider
hdrider Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Bought a LBGE a few weeks ago and now I"m ready to put my gas grill to the curb. I have been watching this forum since getting the egg and have been impressed with the great amount of knowledge that's available. Now that I have "sucked up" to you guys, can someone tell me if cooking two boston butts on the grill at the same time will be slower than cooking one butt at a time? Also, 230 degrees sound good? I got two beautiful seven pounders that I need ready for about a dozen people at 1500 hrs on the 4th.

Comments

• Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    AS long as you have good space between the two butts, cook time will not increase. Remember, every butt may be different, so put a temp probe in each one to keep an eye on. I cook my butts at 250 dome, setting my alarm at a range of 235-260.

Welcome to the cult by the way! Good luck with your butts!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Shouldn't take any longer as long as they aren't touching (a little touch is ok - just don't jam them together). I can fit 3 on the grid, so 2 should be fine.

Also, dome temp at 250 will work better for you.

I am doing 2 8 pounders and a big honkin' brisket starting tomorrow myself (using 2 grids).

Good luck to ya!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    go at 250 the first time. the egg generally (for many of us) settles in there nicely and you don't need any tricky stuff first time out. plus, at 250, you'll be around 1.5 to 2hrs a pound (based on the biggest butt). at 225/230 you'll be over 2 hours a pound.

more butts won;t add to the cook time any more than maybe a little at the beginning while the dome temp is recovering from all the cold meat going on. even so, a cook can vary an hour or two easily from the last one for no apparent reason at all. allow for 2 hours a pound, hope for earlier, plan for even longer. although, you can hurry it up at the end once you are at 185 internal by jacking the dome to 300. that will hurry up the end of the cook if you need to
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • hdrider
    Options
    Thanks for the quick response. I got a feeling that if these things turn out good I'll be converting a couple of more gas grill users. Another question: Do you guys recommend injecting the meat with something like chicken stock or apple juice?
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I don't inject. Don't find that it adds much to pulled pork. I do inject briskets.

More important, what do you ride? I am on a 05 FLTR, last one was a '00 FLHRCI, before that an FLSTF, before that an XLH.

Several hog riders around these parts.

FrontQuarter800.jpg
  • hdrider
    Options
    Nice scooter! I got three: '04 Fatboy, "05 Electra Glide, and '08 Street Bob (actually it's the better halfs). I like your keen obsservation and deductive reasoning that led you to know I ride a Harley. I got syn3 running through my veins!
  • Gandy Dancer
    Gandy Dancer Posts: 273
    Options
    Read THIS may help you.
  • hdrider
    Options
    Great information thanks!
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Six at one time. Took the same time as one.

IMG_8055-033.jpg

Photo By: The Naked Whiz
    Cooker By: Me :)
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Congrats and welcome to the EggNation! Good luck with the cook--there are plenty of great people here on the forum who will be more than willing to offer up some advice. 250° dome will get you there just fine...