Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pork

Options
JodyMo
JodyMo Posts: 46
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The grocery store here has whole picnics for $0.79 a pound.
I have done boston butts, but this looks like it has more bone.
Otherwise, it would seem to be very comparable, since it's part of the same shoulder.
I plan to cook it for approximately the same amount of time as a BB,
using Elder Ward's method (except maybe 220 instead of 200).
Anything else I should know about from those who have done picnics?
Thanks!
JodyMo

Comments

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    JodyMo,[p]Good price on that pork!
    It is my understanding that picnics and BB's are one in the same. So do it as you normally would. I also shoot for the 225-230 as it seems easier to maintain than 200 with no difference in the quality of the cook.[p]Country style ribs tonight for me.
    5 hours and counting til beer-thirty.[p]WD[p][p]

• JodyMo
    JodyMo Posts: 46
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    Sounds good...
    Yeah, Fridays are the hardest!
    Enjoy those ribs and cold ones-
    JodyMo

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    How about the skin? Would you suggest removing this? I think picnics usually have skin wrapped around them. Would this dry up and be pullable?

Apollo Beach, FL
  • nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    JodyMo,
    The picnic is usually just the lower part of the shoulder, whereas the butt is just the top half. I personally have never done a picnic, but people say they have a different flavor from the butts. Some people like to cut off some of the skin or score it before cooking, so that the rubs can get in to the meat. Check out the link for more on pork cuts.[p]~nikki

[ul][li]Pork cuts[/ul]
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Wardster, I coul dbe wrong but I think when most of us think "picnic" we think o fthe "picnic ham" which comes from the hind leg. I bought a "picnic roast" a couple of weeks back and it almost looked exactly like a boston butt. The bone was slightly different but other thna that, they looked (and tasted) quite similar.

• WooDoggies
    Options
    Wardster,[p]Nikki has a great link above... all these terms get a little confusing... eh, Wise One?
    If I buy a skin on picnic shoulder, I will cut the skin off and a good bit of the outer fat so's I can get a good bark with a rub... something about the salt, sugar, spices of the rub and fat mixing together at low heat over hours and crisping up is like a narcotic.
    There is so much fat running through the cut, you will not have a problem with the meat drying out.[p]1 hour 45 mins til beer thirty... man, it's been a long, hot week.[p]WD

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    WooDoggies,[p] The picnic roast is the lower part of the pork shoulder, the Boston butt is the upper part. See:[p]This Link[p]for pictures. I have three picnic roasts rubbed down and in the fridge right now for the weekend. I usually take the skin off, leaving as much of the fat as possible on there (my preference is to let as much fat baste the meat while cooking as possible). An alternative is to score the skin and leave it on. I normally apply the rub, then wrap tightly in plastic wrap. I like to let it sit in the fridge, wrapped like this, for 2-3 days. I then smoke low-and-slow overnight over a mix of sugar maple and pecan. I start out with heavy smoke at about 180F and let the temperature creep up to about 225F. I stabilize it there, then crank it up to 275F or so if necessary after the meat has finished the plateau . . .[p]MikeO
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    WooDoggies,[p]I agree with Mike entirely on the cooking method. I prefer to remove as much fat as possible with the skin (one piece)to expose the meat for the rub. I then add the skin back on as the meat moves through the plateau (165-170°F) for basting purposes.[p]Spin
  • WooDoggies
    Options
    Spin,[p]I'll let you and Mike cook for me anytime as I like the sound of your method and have taken notes.
    Spin I've sampled your cooking before and will be the first in line next time. Mike, well, I've seen you eat NB's ribs and though it wasn't pretty :~)..... what time will those picnic roasts be ready on sunday? I figure you're about 2 hours down the road from me.
    Large beers all around.[p]WD